Saturday, May 7, 2011

2nd NWOC Post One-Lillian Lorraine Durrant

Lillian Durrant, I'd like to interview you. Would you care to tell me about yourself?

An interview without a television or camera crew? You a newspaper journalist then?

(Funny thing is that in real life I am.) I’m not interviewing your for a newspaper either.

Then why are you interviewing me?

I’m just curious. Tell me a little bit about yourself.

I’m a singer, I used to be a cop.

Do you care to expound?

Not really. What else is there to say?

Why did you quit your job as a cop?

I got shot and took some time off. My brother dared me to try out on that television show. I won and my singing career launched. After that I wasn’t really hirable as a cop, I guess.

So you miss being a cop?

Yes and no.

You’re not going to expound on that either?

No, I don’t really see why I would.

(I warned you it’s impossible to get anything out of her.) You’re really close to your brother?

Why would you ask that? She asks suspiciously.

Simply curious.

Why?

I just am.

Why did you say you were asking me these questions again?

I didn’t.

Listen lady, I have to go.

The inside scoop: A stranger was asking her a bunch of questions who claimed she didn’t belong to the press. That would have immediately set off red flags in Lillian’s head. She immediately assumed I was lying and was with the press and or was with Black Rose, the  crime group that is blackmailing her, and so she was on guard from the very first question.

Just because I feel like this wasn’t much of an NWOC post and I still feel like you know nothing about Lillian…I’m going to show an excerpt from the novel Black Rose number one. This is really rough, but here you go:

The phone clicked and she threw it against the wall in frustration.
            “Some greeting, Lily.”
            She turned around stunned, “Eric, I didn’t think you were coming until tomorrow.”
            “Changed my mind.”
            “How did you get in?” she asked.
            “I have a key.”
            “There’s no way Grandmother would give you a key,” Lillian teased avoiding looking at his face in an attempt to hide her swollen face.
            “You’re right, but I still have a key,” he said before turning serious, “Why aren’t you looking at me?”
            She hesitantly raised her head and saw Eric’s expression transform into one of pure hatred.
            “What happened?”
            “Let’s go downstairs, Eric.”
            She stood up and slid past him hoping she could avoid the inevitable conversation.
            “Your arm…you broke your arm and you smell like gunfire. You have some explaining to do, Lillian.”
             Why was Eric a sheriff? Nothing got past him.
            “Eric!”
            “No don’t Eric me. You owe me an explanation.”
            “I don’t owe you anything.”
            “You quit working at the station. Yes, singing is a worthy career, but you always wanted to do more than just sing. Then you moved in with Grandmother and you shut everybody out. Everybody is worried about you. Travis is even worried. You’ve hurt all of them, including me.”
            Lillian kept her face void of all emotion suppressing the guilt she felt. “Eric, don’t tell me who I have hurt. I’m doing the best I can.”
            “No you’ve given up. You’re retreating back into silence and pushing everybody away again.”
            “Eric! Let’s not talk about this.”
            “You can bet we’re going to keep talking about this. Singing professionally was never your dream and it sill isn’t.”
            “I haven’t given up. You have no right to judge me. I’m doing my best.”
            “No you’re not, Lily. You’re afraid and hiding. You don’t think I’m hurting. Anita was my fiancee. You shut down after her death. I know she was your best friend, but she was my fiancee. You have to keep living.”
            The doorbell rand and Lillian quickly answered it grateful for the distraction. She had always hated confrontations.

And that is a rough sketch of Lillian Lorraine Durrant. Tomorrow for my second NWOC post 2, I’ll introduce you to Marissa Sage Nimmers.

Marissa stars in Black Rose #2. She’s a psychiatrist who nearly died in a fire four years ago. The fire she could handle, but the fact that it was meant to kill her after a hit man missed and killed her father and sister instead is harder to overcome. She’s able to help others overcome their grief, but  she can’t overcome her own. But she’s fine; she’s handling her problems just fine. But when her life is threatened again, she realizes that maybe she isn’t doing as well as she thought.

Well there’s Marissa in a nutshell. See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)