Monday, September 26, 2011

Book Review: The Secret Rites of Social Butterflies by Lizabeth Zindle

Average Rating: 3.34
Pages: 288


Okay, before I get to my thoughts on this book. Here is what goodreads has to say.
When does truth become gossip?

Maggie's parents have just split up, and she's moved from New Jersey to New York City with her mom. Desperate to make new friends and to distract herself from troubles at home, she falls in with a group of social butterflies at the ritzy private school she now attends. These girls keep a top-secret record of their classmates, most intimate details on a wall in one of their apartments. Maggie's friends insist they are collecting the truth--not gossip--about the lives of today's teenagers. But she soon learns that certain information in the wrong hands can do irreparable damage.

This is the second novel from Publishers Weekly "Flying Start" author and literacy legacy Lizabeth Zindel.


My Rating:  3 out of 5 stars

My overall thoughts/impressions: It’s a cute read. I enjoyed reading about Maggie and her struggles to fit in at a new school. I could sympathize with Maggie and the choices she made. However, I’ve never been into the whole secret society-gossip-blackmailing type of novel. It was an intriguing read, but nothing was overly compelling that made me think “wow this book is amazing.” It’s a cute read, don’t get me wrong, and one that I think most people would enjoy. However, I don’t think it’s overly amazing.

Some memorable Lines/Quotes: (I chose ones that I liked and ones I thought wouldn’t give away the story.)

·         My mom is a mess. I want to knock and see if she’s okay, but I also know she doesn’t want me to see her like this, so I respect her privacy. Knowing she’s sad makes me feel sick inside. ~Pg 16

·         “To me, trust is the most important thing. It’s hard to find and it can be impossible to replace.” ~Connor Pg. 196

·         It’s funny, but I feel like I was taught that if you say, “I’m sorry,” it will make everything better. But I can see now that doesn’t work in all cases. Sometimes it can clean the slate, soften the blow, speed up the healing, but there are a few occasions when the cut goes too deep. Then those two words will never quite take you back to where you were before. ~Pg 285

In Summary: A cute chick-lit. It’s a quick read and one that fans of the Clique, Gossip Girls, and the Private series will probably enjoy.

Warnings/Side-notes: No side-notes/warnings. It’s a clean book. Just light swearing, nothing too bad. It doesn’t swear very often. The book is fairly clean.

Wrap-up: This book was enjoyable to read. I wasn't bored, but ti didn't have that "wow factor." There was nothing that stopped me in my tracks and said "I love this book."

Love,

Danica Page

Up nest is Adeline Street by Carol Lynch Williams, author of The Chosen One. I loved that novel and have high expectations for this upcoming novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)