Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Q & A with Ally Condie part 2

Alright, guys and here is part 2 to the Allyson Condie Q & A that she hosted on twitter via #allychat. Once again I have compiled her questions and answers with Penguin Books' and Aly Condie's permssion.

Here it is!

Is there really going to be a Matched movie?
We’ll see! Disney has optioned the rights and hired screenwriters but that’s as far as we’ve gotten.
How do you feel about the current trend of movies based on YA literature? Do you think it encourages teens to read more?
I think it’s really, really fun. And yes, I think it does encourage teens to read more.
What made you decide on 100 books, songs, etc? Do you actually have a list of what they are?
I don’t! Because the Society’s list would be different than mine and I think making their list would be tedious. ;)
What would you say came first for you: the storyline or the characters? Or some blend of both?
Both. I had the opening scene and Cassia come to me at the same time.
What inspired you to write Matched?
Long answer on my website.The short answer: my husband. :)
I know you said Crossed has scenes set in South Utah—any particular locations that make an appearance?
I based parts of the geography on Capitol Reef, Zion National Park, Bicknell Bottoms, slot canyon and my yard growing up.
What’s your favorite scene from Matched?
I’ve always really liked the kiss.
When did you have the idea of having people only live to 80?
It’s when my grandparents started to decline. It was really hard to watch.
What is it like writing about a futuristic society?
Very fun. I love making up the rules of the Society (even though I would never want to live there)!
Is there a playlist you made to help inspire certain parts of Matched/Crossed?
Yes! The Matched playlist is on my website and I’ve started posting some of the Crossed songs on my blog too.
What inspired you to write about dystopia?
I had the idea for the Banquet and I knew that it would have to take place in a dystopian society.
What do you do when you have writers block?
I go for a run or play with my kids or read something else (usually British murder mysteries).
My own question: What was the most rewarding part of writing Matched?
Writing the ending. At that point I had no idea who would ever read it, but I felt happy I saw it through to the finish.
When you first started writing this trilogy, did you already have most events planned and know what was going to happen in each book?
Not when I started writing! I was just playing and having fun and writing one book. I thought.
Do you listen to music or something when you write?
I like it quiet when I write, but I listen to music when I revise.
Any reason you picked a green dress for Cassia to wear to her Matched banquet?
I thought it was a color not everyone picked. And I liked the symbolism of green and it ties to the tablet.
Do you have advice to give to aspiring writers?
Keep going. Give yourself time to get good. And write what you care about most.
When trying to get your first book published, did you get rejected? If so, how many times?
Yes, it was rejected dozens of times. I just liked writing too much to give up.
Do you have plans for future series or books once Matched is complete? If so, can you tell us a little about them?
I have so many ideas for things I’d like to write next. I can’t wait! But I can’t tell you much about them yet. :(
Out of all the genres out there why did you choose to write dystopian?
It was the only one that fit the story I wanted to tell in the way I wanted to tell it.
Any particular trends in our society that have you thinking we’re headed for a dystopian future of some sort?
Sometimes I get kind of freaked out by how much info random people have about our lives.
Did you always know Matched was going to be a trilogy, since you thought up the idea of the book?
Nope! I started it as a stand-alone. But by the time I finished it I thought, “There’s more here.”
How did you come up with the idea of the tablets and did they originally do what they do now?
The tablets surprised me. I was writing along and then they just sort of popped up in her compact.
What was your inspiration for the location of Oria and other Provinces, or did you just imagine them up?
I think of Oria as kind of Midwest-y. If you look at the names of the Provinces, you can get a hint.
Any advice for young writers?
Yes! Keep writing every day if you can. Lead a life that is interesting to you.
What are you hoping people will like about the next book?
I hope they like hearing Ky’s story. I hope they like seeing Cassia grow and change.
If there was one thing you could change about Matched, something you didn’t want to happen but did, what would it be?
I was really sad when they took the artifacts away. :)
Will there be ARC sent out of Book 3?
That is yet to be determined as well. :)
How do you outline if you do? Do you believe in writing chronologically or out of order?
I write out of order and I don’t outline, but that’s just what works for me.
(Follow up to previous question.)Your work is still so polished.
Well, I do have to go through it literally hundreds of times to get it that way. I’m a very sloppy drafter. :)
Do you use any particular writing software to organize your thoughts, or do you go old school with pen and paper?
Pretty old school. I take lots of notes on post its and just write notes right in the document too.
How do you organize all of the information for your novels? Do you have special notebooks, or do you just go with the flow?
I have a giant word document that I keep everything in. That’s it. Not very efficient, I know.

And that's it! Hope you enjoyed the Ally Condie posts. I had to seperated them into two parts, due to length.

~Danica Page

6 comments:

  1. This is awesome, thanks for posting! I'm glad I got the chance to read this :)
    New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome. I'm so glad that you are now following my blog and that you liked this post.

    ~Danica Page

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for posting this! I have a twitter but I love reading it all in one place like this :D I also follow you now too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figured that is would be easiest if it was all in one place. You are so welcome. Thanks for the follow!

    ~Danica Page

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. Matched is next on my to-read list, and I'm very excited now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Annie. Matched is on my next to-read list as well. Yes, I happened to stop and paricipate in this chat and that only intensified my desire to read this book.

    Hope you like it. Be sure to tell me what you think.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)