Thursday, September 29, 2011

Review: Changing my wardrobe

Average Rating: 4.78
Ebook

Before I get into what I thought about this book, here's the Goodreads summary:

Incoming freshman, Lindsey Ames, wants to take Italian,and she wants to join the National Honor Society. She wants a new image, and she wants better clothes.
She wants Avery to stop tormenting her, and she wants Marco to ask her out. She wants Jocelyn to go away, but she wants Grouper to be happy. She wants to save Teeny's reputation, but she doesn't want to lose everything. Will Lindsey find the courage to stand up to her enemies before it's too late?

My Rating: 4.5/5 stars.

My overall thoughts/impressions: Some books may you feel like you’re going to have a heart attack, because your heart is beating so fast. That wasn’t the case with this novel. My heart beat seemed to slow so much and I felt like time slowed down. My thoughts were perfectly coherent and I felt so clear.
Any book that can make me feel this way is a great read.
This book transcends that line between fiction and reality. Everybody has their Avery (their tormentor), Marco (the boy they're hopelessly in love with), and Teeny (the best friend they wish they could be). The characters are relatable and it was easy for me to put myself in their place. I could see myself in Lindsey’s shoes.
But that isn’t all there is to this novel. This book touches upon how many people feel while starting high school. This book poignantly deals with loss and dealing with that loss. is powerfully written, and beautifully captures what life is like as a teenager.

Very few books end in a way that I hadn’t already guessed. This book had the honor of leaving me totally surprised.  Once again, any book that can do that is a beautiful book.
This book is so much more than just your typical high school novel, typical chick lit, typical HEA story that you read over and over again. So many books leave you thinking have I read this before?
This book wasn’t like that.
I did receive a copy of this book for review, but just want to say that didn't play any part in my decisions or feelings for this book. Very few books get a 5 star rating…the fact that I was reviewing this novel didn’t affect my decision.
Some Memorable Quotes/Lines: (I chose some that I thought wouldn’t give away the story and ones that I liked.)
Disclosure: I really liked some lines at the end of the novel, but can’t post them here.
·         Teeny’s logic made sense to a point. If I wanted my life to be better, I needed to make some changes, and high school was the perfect place for me to do that. But I wasn’t convinced that a makeover was the answer. Changing my life couldn’t be as easy as changing my wardrobe, could it? After all, my face, my body, and my personality would be the same. Avery would still recognize me; she would still see me as the “little mouse.”
·         I knew that I wouldn’t have made it through junior high without Teeny and Grouper; they always had my back. But now things had to change. I couldn’t lean on them as I had done in the past. It was time for me to stand on my own two feet, but I wasn’t sure if I was ready for that yet.
In summary: A great novel that more people should read.
Warning/Side-note: There are only a few instances that this novel swears. I wasn’t offended by this novel at all. For the most part, it is relatively clean. 

Wrap-up: I was really surprised by how much I loved this novel. This book is a great read: entertaining and touching.

Love,
Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review Danica. I'm looking forward to the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome, Deb. You deserved that great review.

    I am looking forward to interviewing you as well.

    ~Danica Page

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)