Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Book Review: Before I say Goodbye


Before I say Goodbye
by Rachel Ann Nunes
Average rating: 4 stars

As always before I get into my opinion of this novel, here is a summary from goodreads. Also, as a disclaimer, I was asked to professionally review this novel for a news organization that I write freelance for. I recieved a free copy of this book. Also, this is not my professional review. Goodreads summary:


After a twenty-year absence, Rikki Crockett has come home to Utah, to
the same house where she grew up. When she left, she was young, hurt, and angry—abandoned by her parents and her best friend. She'd vowed never to return, but when the worst happens, home is the only place she might still find a future for her two children—a rebellious teenage girl and a sweet little boy with a learning disability. To do that, she must turn to her former best friend, Dante Rushton, and hope that he can be her hero one final time. Before I Say Good-Bye is a tender story about choices, about family, and about a woman who makes peace with her past and discovers the last and greatest hope of all.

My rating: 4 stars out of 5.

My overall thoughts / Impressions: My mom fought a similar battle to the one that Rikki fought and won her battle only 3 months ago. That resulted in a deep feeling of pain and emotion from me. I immediately thought of my mom while reading and could see images of my mom while reading.

Because of experiences I've had, I knew what was going on from the very beginning. But that didn't mean I didn't like the book.

The characters were compelling, the plot was intriguing, and the writing style was fascinating. I usually don't like when novels jump from different first person views, but in this case, it actually didn't bother me in the slightest. Nunes did a good job of easily allowing me to remember who was speaking.

I loved this book and think that it would help a lot of people. This book isn't truly YA, because this book contains passages of some length about Rikki and Dante; however, it also presents viewpoints about her daughter Kyle and Dante's son Travis. There are some YA elements. However, thematically it is not YA. I still loved this book and think that many people would enjoy it. Be willing to branch out and take a chance on this book. You won't be disappointed.

Some memorable quotes/Lines:

·         The old house looked nothing like I remembered. In my memories it had a much larger, darker presence. A being of ominous silence, of cringing at the screaming, of talking to only when talked to, of course and wishing myself away. ~pg 3 Rikki

·         The thought wouldn’t leave me. I should have come to see my mother when she was sick before she died. Tell her I loved her and that I didn’t blame her for not protecting me, even though I did, a little. I knew now what I should have done, but it was useless to worry about the past, about things you couldn’t fix. Life was too short for that. Tomorrow was what really mattered. I had to plan for tomorrow. ~pg 7 Rikki

·         For a brief instant, I experienced the old loss I’d felt when she left twenty years ago, pulsing like an open wound. The next minute, it was gone as though it had never existed. ~pg 24 Dante

·         I didn’t know the hurt I’d feel going down this road. It would all be harder than I’d thought, and what I’d thought had been difficult enough. ~pg 42 Rikki

·         “I know it might not seem like it now, but it’s true, and believe me, regret is not the way to live. I’ve lived an entire life of regret. I haven’t been a good father to you, but if you ever choose to listen to me, I hope you’ll do it now. You don’t want to spend the rest of your life living in the past.” ~pg 58 Dante’s father.

·         I didn’t regret anything. All the experiences in my life added to the person I’d become, to the people my children were becoming. To regret meant to wish them away. What I regretted was the future. ~pg 62 Rikki

·         Imagining did not mean regret. It was simply the path not taken. ~pg 62 Rikki

Warning/Side-notes: Nothing that made me feel uncomfortable. It's a really clean book. It is a little sad, bud it is a great read.

The Wrap-up: I really enjoyed reading this book. It really made me think about my life and what I really want to accomplish. The novel is one that I could easily read again.

In summary: A great read. Compelling plot, intriguing characters, and beautifully written.

Love,
Danica Page


Upcoming coming review: Trueblood's Plight by E. S Lark.


2 comments:

  1. great review...thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kimba. I'm so glad you liked it. I really appreciated your comment!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)