Saturday, October 29, 2011

Book Review: Matched by Ally Condie

I know, I know. I'm just slightly behind the times with my review of this novel as well as the fact I just read it a few weeks ago. But better late, than never.



Matched
by Ally Condie
 Average Rating: 3.81
Pages:366

As always, before I get into my review of this novel. Here is the goodreads synopsis.

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.
You know a novel is going to be good when you're hooked after reading the synopsis.

My Rating: 4 stars. A great read. I loved it, but it didn't stand out enough to get a 5. I'd reread it though, and it will proudly occupy a spot on my shelf.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I've been wanting to read this book for a long time. I've heard such good things about it. (Plus, even though I didn't realize it until yesterday, I've loved all of her other novels so far.)  
I was hooked from the synopsis like I mentioned earlier, and I'm still hooked three weeks after finishing reading it. I'm dying waiting for Crossed to come out. I feel bad for those who have waited a whole year. :(
The novel is written in a beautiful, compelling, and lyrical style that I absolutely loved. Cassia was a character that I could easily relate to. I loved her voice, her personality, and basically everything about her.
I hadn't realized this until frequently, but a good portion of my favorite novels involve a love triangle. Nothing like a good love triangle, right?
The book met the hype I've heard about it. Definitely a novel that I'd recommend.

Some Memorable Quotes/Lines:
·         But I don’t want Grandfather to think that I am marking the minutes. Marking the time until our visit is over. Marking time until his life is over. Although, if you think about it, I am marking time for my own life, too. Every minute you spend with someone gives them a part of your life and takes part of theirs. ~pg 65 
·         It already feels like a different place. More haunted. A little lonlier. I think that is because Grandfather is not sitting at the window anymore. Today, he rests in bed in the living room as his body shuts down. Right on time. ~pg 72 
·         I sit between Ky and Xander, equidistant from both of them. It’s as if I’m a piece of metal and they are two magnets and there’s a pull from either side. ~pg 228

In Summary: A great book, that is beautifully written, has a great plot line, and is one that I will definitely reread.

Warning/Side-notes: This novel is clean. There is nothing I found offensive.

The Wrap-up: I can't wait until Crossed comes out. I'm literally holding my breath. And I'm also super excited because some lucky winner is going to win Crossed and Matched. Lucky duck. I'll just have to buy two copies at once. :) Because I need one for myself.

Up next: Sweethearts by Sara Zarr....third one I've read by her this year, and not the last by any means. Anybody want to give me How to Save a Life by chance? :) I know, I know, but a girl can dream, right?

I know you guys have read Matched. What did you guys think? Are you guys as excited about Crossed as I am?


Love,


Danica Page




5 comments:

  1. I have to say...I didn't like Matched. The writing was nice, but the story bored me after a while. I guess Dystopian just isn't my genre. :(

    Glad you found a book you enjoyed, though.

    Alexandra~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did enjoy the story, but I had some problems with the novel. The writing was beautiful, but I don't think it matched the story. The beautiful language would have been nice just with the scenes between Cassia and Ky to show the beauty of their relationship, but I thought given the subject matter, harsher language might have been better during everyday situations, etc. I'm with Alexandra. I just kept waiting for something to happen. It never did. Cassia kept saying how she would now fight the system, but I felt like all she did was talk about it. I will read Crossed, though, to see how it all resolves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see where both of you are coming from. Your comments are very valid.

    I think that Crossed will really cememt my opinion on whether or not I truly like the novel. If Crossed doesn't meet my expectations, I'll think less of Matched. If that makes any sense?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Condie's dystopian world is believable and imaginative - until the reader learns that Condie has borrowed the EXACT society imagined in The Giver. Everyone's mate, job, clothes, and death are all decided by the government. Both books follow a young protagonist who believes in the safety and security of the government at the beginning, but both become rebellious as truth emerges. Because of the similar premise, I have a hard time thinking this book is as "groundbreaking" or imaginative as many people have mused. Romance plays as the only significant difference in Condie's version, and even that feels shallow and forced, unlike the deep, justifiable romance seen in The Hunger Games. Cassia's references to the color of Ky's eyes, for example, can only be made so many times, and does not make Cassia's connection to him any more believable. I am not usually so harsh a critic, but I have a hard time respecting a book that has, in many ways, already been done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. France, I am sorry to hear that you disliked this book so much. I can see the parallels. However, I read the Giver so long ago that I can barely remember it. I think many dystopian novels have ties to other books that have been written.

      Yes, there are some repetitions as well. Despite all of this, I still enjoyed this book. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like I said before, but I respect your feelings.

      Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I always love hearing what other people think. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)