Sunday, October 30, 2011

Book Review: Sweethearts by Sara Zarr


Pages:224
Average Rating: 3.68
As always, here is the synopsis that goodreads has to offer.
As children, Jennifer Harris and Cameron Quick were both social outcasts. They were also each other's only friend. SO when Cameron disappeared without warning, Jennifer thought she'd lost the one person who would ever understand her. Now in high school, Jennifer has been transformed. Known as Jenna, she is popular, happy, and dating—everything "Jennifer" couldn't be. But she still can't shake the memory of her long-lost friend.

When Cameron suddenly reappears, they both are confronted with memories of their shared past and the drastically different paths their lives have taken.

Sweethearts is a story about the power of memory, the bond of friendship, and the quiet resilience of our childhood hearts.

My rating: 4 stars.

My overall thoughts/impressions: I love Sara Zarr. She places situations that cause your heart to break at the forefront of her novels. She doesn't do so in a way that seems forced. She just naturally explores these issues and how teens would deal with them.
I loved this story. Zarr did a great job of creating characters that are easy to relate to. This novel isn't my favorite one by her, that honor belongs to Story of a Girl.
But I do love this novel. It is beautifully written. I will admit that I was hoping for a HEA, but the ending was fitting and beautiful in its own way. A great read.
Most Memorable Quotes/Lines:

· My brain doesn’t seem to work that way. Most specific things about Cameron are fuzzy—the day we met, how we got so close, exact words we said to each other. There are only moments, snapshots, pieces of the puzzle. Once in a while I feel them right in my hand real as the present, but usually it’s more like I’m grasping for vapor. ~pg 4
·Then I closed the lid, because it hurt too much not to, and Cameron and all memories of him were lowered into the ground. And somehow I knew that if I was going to survive, the person I was had to be buried with him. ~pg 12
·The only thing that could never die or be buried was my loyalty to Cameron for everything he’d done for me and what we’d been through together, even if that loyalty was to a ghost. ~ pg 19
·And he left. I watched him walk out—he didn’t even say goodbye, he didn’t even look back. It scared me, how easy it was for him to do that. ~pg 89
·My day had been fine on schedule until he walked up and disrupted things and told me he wanted to go back and relive everything. ~pg 91
·(THIS WHOLE PAGE AS WELL AS THE NEXT ONE ARE TERRIFIC. I kind of spliced it together so it would make sense and would be short.)
I think about how there are certain people who come into your life, and leave a mark. I don’t mean the usual faint impression…And I don’t just mean they change you. A lot of people can change you…I’m talking about the ones who, for whatever reason, are as much a part of you as your own soul. ~pg 215

Warnings/Side-notes: Sara touches upon some touchy issues concerning the family and a physically abusive father. It is fairly clean. I wasn't offended, but for the sensitive of heart this novel may not be for you. It is a beautiful book, however, and I'd recommend it.
In Summary: Sara Zarr just has a way with words. Her writing stays with you long after you have finished turning the last page. A great author who has definitely distinguished herself as one of my favorites. She simply has such a beautiful writing style.
The Wrap-up:  A great novel that I definitely recommend. Beautifully written.


Have you guys read this novel, if so what did you think?

Next Review: Georgette Heyer's Arabella.

Love,

Danica Page

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read this, but I've seen it at the store, and I love the cover. With your great review, I may just give it a chance!

    Alexandra~
    http://www.wordsoftheworlds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sara Zarr. There is always one passage that ends in my book quotebook...considering most of those are from books written before 1800s that's no small feat.

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely ADORE this book! I didn't care as much for Story of a Girl but I really REALLY love Sweethearts. I'm glad you enjoyed it too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia, I'm glad you adore Sweethearts. It is so good.

    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)