Saturday, November 5, 2011

Book Blog Tour Bitter Blessings by Christine Mehring


Bitter Blessings
by Christine Mehring
Pages:192
Average Rating: 4.01
Genre: Christian/LDS fiction
Received for review

Before I get into my review, I just want to thank Tristi Pinkston for allowing me to get involved with book blogging tours through her blog. There are many book tours I will be participating in because of her. So big thanks.

As always, before I get into what I think, here's what goodreads has to say:

Megan has the perfect life, but when her mother dies in an accident, everything spins out of control. With the rest of her family falling apart, Megan must confront her past to uncover the truths that will keep everyone together. Thought-provoking and heartfelt, this book shows that even in times of trial, you can often find blessings.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. I really liked this novel.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: After looking at the title I thought this was going to be pretty depressing book. I won't say try to say that it doesn't have depressing elements because it does. Her mother dies within the first ten pages...that right there is pretty depressing. And the events that enfold are heart-breaking.

However, there were also parts of this book that had me laughing hysterically out loud in my apartment and caused my roommates to be concerned...any book that can do that is a great book.

Meghan was a character that I could relate to and I liked following her story. Mehring powerfully explores what it means to be like a teen struggling to continue living after her mother's death.

This novel masterfully blends elements of suspense, intrigue, tragedy, comedy, friendship, and faith in a way that readers will love.

Some may try to claim that the events in this novel are too far-fetched, but I disagree. I don't think it's too far-fetched. And readers who focus on that idea will miss the beauty and power in the story.

Mehring's writing style is both touching and entertaining. This book made me feel the whole spectrum of emotions like I mentioned earlier. Any book that can make me feel so many different emotions is one that I love.

This is a novel that I would read again and plan on keeping on my shelf.

In Summary: A great entertaining, emotional read that does touch upon some heavy elements. However, the novel touches upon what it means to be a teen exploring issues of death, faith, and what it means to be a family. This novel really isn't that depressing of a read.

Warning/Side-notes: A very clean, cute read. Nothing that would be offensive.

The Wrap-up: I was pleasantly surprised by this novel. I liked it much more than I thought I would.

Love,

Danica Page
(who is now officially almost caught up with her reviews)

Up next: Arabella by Georgette Heyer

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review Bitter Blessings. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I really loved your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine. I'm glad that you liked my review, because I really liked your book.

    Best of luck with all of your writing endeavors!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)