Sunday, November 6, 2011

Book Review: Beckoning Light by Alyssa Rose Ivy

I loved this book! Why didn't I read this sooner? Sorry, Alyssa Rose Ivy, I just got swamped. But I truly did love this book.  I received this for review, but I loved it!

Pages: 256
Average Rating: 4.24

Before I get into my review, here is the synopsis on goodreads:

As Charlotte steps through the gate, she has a strong feeling that nothing will ever be the same again.

Moving back to South Carolina after three years away, Charlotte knows she's going to have to face people from her past and adjust to a new high school, but she's completely unprepared for what else waits for her in Charleston.

Drawn through an old garden gate, Charlotte discovers a hidden world where she meets Calvin, a boy to whom she is inexplicably attracted. As Charlotte is pulled deeper into this hidden world, it's up to her older brother Kevin to rescue her. No matter how hard Kevin tries, the rescue depends upon Charlotte fighting her intense feelings for Calvin while mastering a set of abilities that she has only just discovered she possesses.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars...loved it.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I read the synopsis for this novel and was really excited to read it and then I got swamped with  book reviews I have to review for work and so it got lost in the shuffle.

What was I thinking? Please, somebody tell me why on earth I'd put such a beautifully written book off for so long.

The writing was absolutely beautiful. I loved Alyssa's style. She literally had me hooked form the very first page to the very last page. I couldn't stop reading. I simply had to finish this novel.

Charlotte and Kevin were narrators that I absolutely adored from the very beginning. I also loved the full cast of characters, Calvin, Monty, Liam, and various other characters that you'll meet within the novel.  I simply loved the characters in this novel.

Lately, I've read a few books with endings that annoyed me. This novel left me feeling both satisfied and longing for more. I can't wait to see Alyssa's next novel Perilous Light in her Afterglow trilogy. Definitely one I'll be keeping my eye on.

In Summary: A book that reminded me why I love fantasy. Beckoning Light  had me captivated from page one to the very last page--no actually I'm still captivated, because I really want to read the sequel! 

Warnings/Side-notes: None, this book is very clean. Definitely recommended to anybody and everybody.

The Wrap-up: Loved Alyssa's writing style. She is an author that I'm going to keep tabs on. I want to know what she's writing! This is a book that I would actually buy, and will buy the second one without even second-guessing myself. Go buy it! You won't regret it. Here's the link.


Upcoming Review: Sudden Independents by Ted Hill

Happy reading and really this truly is a fantastic book!

Love,

Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Danica

    I've subscribed your e-mail on your blog. I want you to know that your e-mail is incomplete. I can only read the first few paragraph and left me hanging (no ending at all). I would like you to fix the problem as soon as you can. Sorry I didn't mean to yell at you. I'm not mad either. But I want to finish reading your blog in the e-mail. I like your blog, I don't want to miss anything. :)

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'm not entirely sure how to fix this problem as I just used the "follow by email" gadget provided by blogger.

    However, I know that a lot of people use some type of rss feed, but I'm not sure how that works or if it gives the entire blog post.

    I will look into this issue and see if I can figure anything out. Sorry, this isn't my forte. Sorry for a ny inconvience.

    ~Danica Page

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)