Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Book Review: Gone by Lisa McMann

As I have previously mentioned, somebody told me they wanted me to read the Wake series on my facebook page and so I did.



Gone (Dream Catcher #3)
by Lisa McMann
Average Rating:3.66
Pages: 214


As always, before I get into what I thought about this novel. Here's what goodreads had to say:

Janie thought she knew what her future held. And she thought she’d made her peace with it. But she can’t handle dragging Cabel down with her.

She knows he will stay with her, despite what she sees in his dreams. He’s amazing. And she’s a train wreck. Janie sees only one way to give him the life he deserves: She has to disappear. And it’s going to kill them both.

Then a stranger enters her life — and everything unravels. The future Janie once faced now has an ominous twist, and her choices are more dire than she’d ever thought possible. She alone must decide between the lesser of two evils. And time is running out. . . .


My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars.
My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I was really excited for this novel despite my slight disappointment with the second novel. I was really anxious to see how Janie and Cabel's story played out, because I truly do love them. I also am really intrigued by McMann's writing style and wanted to see how it developed with this novel.

I got the book and read it hours after finishing the second one (that's one good thing about being a latecomer to the series). I finished and I felt slightly disappointed. I had the thought "that's it" immediately come to mind.

However, having stated that I did like the inner conflict within this novel. Janie had a hard choice to make- one that I wouldn't want to have to make that's for sure.  Most of this book was internal conflict which was a nice change from the action-packed and external conflicts that the second novel presented.
Yet, I still felt like this novel lacked the edge of the first two novels. I wasn't captivated by the tale. It is still a great read and if you like this type of paranormal novel, an edgier style, than this series will be right for you. 
In Summary: A great series that I liked, but not one that I will re-read. I liked the series, but I felt like the third one fell a little flat of my expectations. Definitely not a clean series by any means. And I will admit that might have something to do with why I don't seem to like this series as much as others.

Warnings/Side-notes: Definitely not a clean book. This book was much cleaner than the previous two in my opinion. However, this book still used the f word on occasion and contains references to sex. It wasn't explicit, but it's mentioned.
The Wrap-up: I loved the writing sytle McMann uses and I loved the characters Janie and Cabel. I love characters who come from checkered pasts, but manage to raise above their station. This book wasn't quite my cup of tea, but I was intrigued and I enjoyed the storyline.
Have you read this book? And if so, what did you think?


Love,
Danica Page

Up next: Sudden Independents by Ted Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)