Friday, November 4, 2011

Book Review: On the Fringe by Courtney King Walker

I received this book for review from a newspaper organization that I work for and have submitted my professional review. This is not that review. This is simply my  review for my blog, because I don't like being more personal with my review.

Average Rating: 4.02
Pages: 288

As always here is the summary from goodreads.

Claire is struggling to overcome the murder of her childhood friend and secret crush, Daniel. Everyone else seems to be moving on with their lives, but she's still trying to cope. The fact that she finds herself alone and drowning on her 16th birthday isn't helping.

Neither is thinking she sees Daniel's face in murky water as she mysteriously resurfaces. But something happened during those four and a half minutes that will make her realize it was not just her imagination.

As Claire and Daniel try to grasp a possible reconnection, other grudge-holding beings have plans of their own. Now, the two of them have to decide if their fleeting relationship is worth the possibility of Claire being trapped on the fringe forever.

Beautifully told, On the Fringe intertwines fresh ideas about devotion, revenge, and the consequences that come with life and death.


And now for my review:


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. An intriguing read.


My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I rarely read ghost stories. I don't know why, just haven't. I have read Meg Cabot's Mediator series,which I loved, but that's about it.


I was asked to review this one from work, like I mentioned above, and accepted even though I was a little hesitant. I put off reading this until two weeks before my article was due and then I read 100 pages the first night instead of going to sleep on time. :) The next morning I woke up early and finished it.


I really enjoyed this book. I liked the switch in narrators. It really helped me understand what was going on. I thought this novel was beautifully written and I was hooked from the very first page. Definitely recommended.


Most Meaningful Quotes/Lines: I chose the ones that I thought wouldn't give away the story and ones that I liked. But sometimes with a good novel, I just get too caught up in the book to remember to mark passages...that's what happened with this one.


·         Even with my eyes squeezed shut, everything inside me felt broken into pieces. I tried to hold my breath to stop myself from crying, but it didn’t work. Nothing worked. Never again would I see or touch Daniel. Ever. It hurt like a knife carving into me, ripping out my insides, twisting, and cutting. I wanted to scream out loud, but could only scream in my head. ~Claire pg 24 
·         That was when I understood there was no message for me. At least, not with some magical spell capable of sending me off to heaven. No, Claire was broken. Lost. Alone. I’d never seen her look so tired. I could feel her emotions like heat from the sun as they bounced across the room toward me and soaked into my soul. ~Daniel pg 33 
·         Which was worse—regret or grief? Because I could feel both carving themselves into my heart, and the pain only seemed to get worse as the months dragged on. ~Claire pg 36
What the author has to say: Yes, this is new. I actually was able to track down Courtney King Walker and ask her a few questions about her book. And this is how it went:

ME: Why did you decide to write this novel?

Courtney: At first, I just thought it would be fun to write a thriller of a ghost story with a little romance on the side, something my kids would enjoy. But it quickly evolved into something deeper; I had this desire to write a romance that didn’t begin with love at first sight. I feel like that’s how it usually happens: where you know someone for a while before you realize you have feelings for them. That’s what I wanted to explore. But then I wondered— what would it be like to realize you loved someone before you ever got the chance to tell them? And can emotions like love, fear and revenge follow us through to the other side?

Me: What do you love about your novel?


Courtney: It feels like a snapshot of childhood, like going home again. I love the sense of peace I get when I read it, and hope readers feel the same way.


Me: What do you hope readers gain from reading your novel?

Courntey: On the Fringe is a story about devotion and friendship, and how we are all connected to each other in some way. Hopefully readers will get a good feel for the book’s mood, and sense a real connection to the characters and the story.

My late grandfather once told me “we are all connected.” Hours before he died, he had a pretty neat experience that offered me a great sense of peace, and even wonder, concerning death. I’d have to say his four words are my true inspiration for this book, and I guess I'd hope those words might also give readers a lingering hope that love (in all its forms) has a way of connecting us all, even beyond the grave.

Courtney also has several book signings coming up for those in the Utah area.

November 12 @ Barnes & Noble in Midvale, @10-12
November 16 @ The King's English in Salt Lake City. @7
December 10 @ Barnes & Noble in  St. George @ 2-4

In Summary: A great novel. I really enjoyed reading this and would recommend it to anybody who loves paranormal stories.

Warnings/Side-notes: None, this novel is completely clean. No swearing, no sex references, nothing of that kind. They do reference drugs, but once again that doesn't bother me. And it was shown in a negative light anyway.

The Wrap-up: Definitely worth checking out. I greatly enjoyed reading this book.

Have you read this yet? If so, what do you think?


Love,
Danica Page

Up next: Crossed by Ally Condie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)