Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Book Review: Sudden Independents by Ted Hill


Sudden Independents
by Ted Hill
E-book
Received for Review
Goodreads Average Rating: 4.67


Before I get into my review, here is the synopsis on goodreads:
Jimmy never thought he'd be spending the apocalypse farming in Nebraska and worrying about Hunter. But when the plague killed their parents, along with everyone over the age of seventeen, Jimmy suddenly became head of the household.
Then the oldest kid in town turned eighteen and the plague chased him down. Now Jimmy has one more thing to worry about-and he's running out of time.

My Rating: 3.5 stars out of 5. I really liked this novel. It's an interesting read that is well-written. This novel is closer to a 4 star rating than a 3 star rating.  
My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: Once again, I did receive this novel for review. Just wanted to say that up front in regard to full disclosure. Having said that, this book presented an interesting blend of faith, science fiction, dystopia, and romance. This novel explores various teens and their attempt to uncover who they really are. A compelling and intriguing tale that explores what growing up means.

This novel is set in a world where a plague has struck the land and everybody over the age of 18 is dying. This was slightly reminiscent of Michael Grant's Gone, granted I have only read the first one in that series and that was years ago. However, having stated that I still felt like Ted Hill's novel was an interesting and original novel.

What I really loved about this novel was Ted's masterfully crafted characters. He beautifully portrayed this world where we could get in teenager's heads both male and female. I didn't feel like I was reading a novel written by an adult. I felt like I literally was in these teens' heads. I felt like I was getting a vivid picture of what it would be like to be a slightly rebellious male teen...and that's saying something.

This novel was intriguing, well-written, and the plot fit in with the current trend of dystopian tales. Like I mentioned earlier, this novel incorporated religion into the dystopian tale. It was never forced and was always light.

For those who don't like religion incorporated into their literature, I wouldn't necessarily be weary of reading this novel.

For those who love having religion incorporated into their literature, this novel is one of the few dystopian tales I've seen that incorporate religion-so you might want to check this novel out.






In Summary: Overall, this novel was a great read. I was enthralled from the start and found this book to be enjoyable. I really loved the characterization in this novel. This was a fresh compelling read.

Warnings/Side-notes: Some references to sex, but wasn't graphic. I wasn't at all offended. This book did contain a few swear words, but that was a rarity. For the most part, this novel was very clean. A read that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.
The Wrap-up: This is another self-published novel that I really enjoyed. A novel that offered a fresh and original look at how religion and dystopian themes can go hand-in-hand.

Random Side-note: That makes the fourth self-published book I've read. I absolutely adored two of them and really liked the other two. So if you're still hesitant to read self-published novels, know that I used to be the same way. However, these novels have made me seriously re-evaluate that belief.

Thanks Ted Hill for allowing me to review your novel.

Happy reading! Have any of you read this novel? And if so, what did you think of it?

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: Merciful Law by Darby Rae

2 comments:

  1. Great review. I also read this novel and reviewed it at my sister site, Book Whore, but I would read it all over again - it was so amazing. I agree that it was a fresh take on dystopian society. I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany M, I'm glad that you also enjoyed this novel and that you liked my review.

    The sequel should certainly be interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)