Friday, November 4, 2011

Book Review: Wake by Lisa McMann

Yes, I finally read Wake and am finally posting my review of it! Somebody commented on my facebook that they wanted to know what I thought about this novel and so I read it.

Average Rating: 3.81
Pages: 210
Awards: ALA Teen's Top Ten (2009)

Well and here's what goodreads has to say about it:
For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.
She can't tell anybody about what she does they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can’t control.
Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant.

And now for my review:

My rating: 3 out of 5 stars. It was a good read, the plot was intense, the characters intriguing, but for me it lacked that wow! factor.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: This novel was an intense read. The whole idea of somebody being able to go into other people's dreams had me hooked from the get-go. I loved the main characters Janie and especially Cabel.

This story was well-written and an enjoyable read. I loved seeing how Janie coped with being sucked into other people's dreams. It was a compelling plot line.

This book was good enough that I wanted to read Fade and Gone right away. That's one benefit to starting a series late I guess--you don't have to wait for the next one to come out.

I love Cabel like I mentioned earlier. The dynamics between him and Janie were great.

I mentioned earlier that this novel lacked that wow factor for me; however, it was still a great and compelling read.

Some Memorable Quotes/Lines: I actually didn't mark any page numbers down. Sorry, but I wrote them down. And as always I chose quotes that I liked.

· “That was the goth stage, where I decided I'd never get the girl of my dreams because of my scars. Not to mention my hairstyle. (pause) But then she slammed a door handle into my gut. And when a girl does that to a boy, it means she likes him.” ~Cabel
· “Once you read something, you can't erase it from your brain.”~Janie
· Janie is told that she will most certainly get a scholarship too, with her grades. Unless she plays hooky with drug dealers.
· “Dreams aren't memories," he says.” ~Cabel
In Summary: An interesting novel that paranormal fans will really like. I really enjoyed this book, but it lacked that wow factor to make it anything above a 3 plus for other reasons which will be listed below it stayed a 3.

Warning/Side-notes: This novel's language isn't the greatest as in it swears a lot, the f word is used maybe ten or so times. It talks about drugs (which doesn't bother me, but does some) and has some heavy references to sex and to gay characters. It's still a great book, but if you're looking for a clean read this isn't the novel for you.

I will admit to feeling slightly uncomfortable in some parts of this novel; however, not uncomfortable enough to stop reading. The references aren't any worse than what you see in most YA novels. But I didn't want to warn you so you knew.

The Wrap-up: I enjoyed this novel and will be reading Fade and Gone in the near future. I already said this novel wasn't the cleanest, but if you don't care about that, then you should have no qualms about this book and will love reading it.

Have you read Wake? And if so, what did you think?

Love,
Danica Page

Up next: On the Fringe by Courtney King Walker (another paranormal novel...this time about ghosts)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)