Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Book/Short Story Review: Whiteout and Before by Cambria Hebert

This review is definitely going to be formatted a little differently than the other ones I have written. I'm going to be reviewing two short works in the same post!

Both are by Cambria Hebert who asked me to review these for her.

I'm going to start off by talking about Whiteout. Here is the sysnopsis on Goodreads.

Whiteout (a short story):

Lost in a world of white, I lay. Pain and cold were my only companions. How long would it take me to die? Would the cold freeze my heart and stop its beating?

A red plastic sled saved the day. A woman saved my life.

Unfortunately, saving my life might cost Grace her own. We get one day together, Christmas day, one day of bliss among misery. Too soon the tree is down and all that’s left of the cinnamon biscuits are crumbs.

The people who want me dead come back to see their task complete. I didn’t have a plan, but Grace did.

Never trust a woman with a shotgun.

This novel showcases the talented writer that Hebert is. She writes beautifully in a lyrical style that I immediately loved. Her characters were ones that I loved and the plot was good.

This short story is definitely a recommened read for lovers of romance and the paranormal genre. This novel left me wanting to read more from Hebert. If she writes a short stor this well, then what could she do with a novel?

Before (prequel to before):

What if your life was charmed and everything in it was perfect…....
Before.

This is the story of my past. Of what things were like for me when everything was normal. Of what every teenager’s life is like. Clothes. Parties. Boys and summer vacation. What’s so wrong with that?

I liked it. I was happy.

Until things changed. I changed.

I didn’t know that lies and secrets were about to take over my existence. I didn’t know there was someone out there, someone meant just for me. I didn’t know that I was about to go on a journey, a journey that would lead me to the girl I am today.

This is the beginning of the worst year of my life. Would I go back and change things? Erase everything that has happened to go back into these moments?

Not a chance.

This is a story of before.

I really liked Hebert's writing style once again and was left wanting to read the novel Masquerade to see how Hebert crafts this novel. Like I mentioned earlier in this post, I loved Hebert's style in these short stories, and so I'm interested in seeing what she can do with a novel. This was the prequel to her novel Masquerade that I have heard good things about. I'm really excited to read more from Hebert.

I love her writing style and she is a writer that I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye on.


Her novel Masquerade comes out on December 16, 2011. 

The synopsis of Masquerade from goodreads is:

Before. Everything was so much better Before. I wasn’t haunted by nightmares, my place at school was secure and my face was flawless. Now, I’m a freak and everything has changed. The worst part is that I can’t remember the night I was sentenced to the shadows. The memory has been stolen from me and I just can’t shake the feeling that someone, something is out there -watching.

Just when I think I have my life handled, Sam, with his intimidating golden stare and shiver inducing voice, makes me realize that I don’t know anything. He makes me see that my scars don’t matter. That they never mattered. I can’t help but fall for him, completely unknowing that he knows exactly how I got this way. Not knowing he was involved.

***

Heven has no idea how closely death stalks her. She has no idea what I have done to keep her alive. I fear the day she learns my secrets, finds out what I really am. But even then I cannot stop, I vow to make things right. Finally her hunter will be hunted, Heaven and Hell, faith and sin will battle, and we will be victorious. But first, Heven must learn to be what she never imagined. I know her strength is there – I feel it. If we are to overcome all odds, she must push past her flaws - her frailties - to become much more.

It sounds interesting. I'll definitely be reading it.


Happy reading!
Love,


Danica Page

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your wonderful reviews!!! Your blog is great and i appreciate the time you spent writing thoughtful and well written reviews! I look forwars to reading your review for Masquerade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reviews! I'm reading Masquerade now, and I can say you won't be disappointed! :D

    I reviewed these as well, as well as did an interview with Cambria. Check them out if you want on my blog: http://www.wordsoftheworlds.blogspot.com

    Alexandra~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cambria, you are most welcome. I'm glad you liked my review and my blog. And I look forward to reviewing Masquerade. Thanks for this oppurtunity.

    Alexandra, thanks. I'm glad you liked it. And thanks for leaving your link. I'll be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)