Monday, November 28, 2011

How to Get Me to Read Your Book.

Hello,

Kirsti over at The Story Siren blog posted a great post on how authors can get her to read their book. She mentioned that the didn't generalize the post, but rather wrote her personal preferences. However, I think that everything she listed will help authors get readers to review their books.

You can check out her post by clicking the following link.

I'm going to respond to her post, by listing how authors can get me to read their books. I have also updated my Review Policy. I know my review policy is long and I apologize for that, but everything on there is important. I've tried to make it easy to read and follow, but there was a lot of information I needed to get across.

Like Kirsti said, if I want to read your book or have featured in on my blog, you already have an in.

If I have already featured your book then contact me and I'll definitely want to review it and will probably do so immediately.

Please look at my review policy before contacting me.

I have a review policy on my blog for a reason. I only accept certain types of books for review. I feel uncomfortable reading certain types of books and so I've clearly outlined what I'll read in my policy.

Please look at it before contacting me. I can't stress how much this one bothers me.

This shows that you are a professional and have actually taken the time to acquaint yourself with my blog. You don't have to follow my blog or even like it for me to do a review, but I do expect you to at least know what I'll review.

Please don't be scared of me.

So often I hear from authors that they have been lurking around my blog, but haven't been brave enough to contact me for review. I'm not scary! I promise, ask anybody who knows me and they will tell you that. I can't even glare. I always bust up smiling.

Shoot me an email or contact me through Goodreads messages, the worse that can happen is that I'll say I won't read your novel. Give it a shot. It can't hurt.

I'm a person. Remember that.

I have a busy life like I'm sure all of you do. I review books for work. I also work as a freelance writer, and I'm a college student meaning I'm busy with homework and studying. I also try to at lest pretend to have a social life. Keep that in mind. I will try to review your book as quickly as possible.  I'm not trying to be mean by not reviewing your novel immediately.

I am tyring to review novels more quickly and in a more timely manner. However, please remember that I'm busy. Feel free to shoot me an email reminding me to review your novel, if you feel like I'm taking too long however.

Remember that I love reviewing books.

I started a book blog for a reason, and that reason is because I love reading books and I love reviewing books. So don't worry about taking away from my time, ignoring me, or any other thing along these lines. I'd love to hear from you.

My review policy is here for those interested.


What about you fellow book bloggers? What can authors do to get you to read their books?

And authors, what are your thoughts on book reviews? Is there anything you wish book bloggers would do or any secrets to getting you to send them your book for review?

Thanks for stopping by.

~Danica Page

3 comments:

  1. This is very interesting! I always like to hear a reviewers thoughts about reviewing.

    I'm an author, but I also review, and I feel like because of that, I understand a little better. It is still hard to hand someone your work and have them not finish it right away, or write a short review when they do finish it. I'm always looking for reviewers who are honest, and who at least try and keep in contact with me to let me know how things are going, and when they may finish the book.

    Alexandra~
    http://www.wordsofthewolrds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexandra, I understand where you are coming from. It is always tough anticipating what people are going to think about what you've written and then feeling the let-down that comes when they don't get to it right away.

    I know I try to keep in contact with authors to tell them when I will be reading their novel. Right now I simply tell them a few days before I start their novel, when I'm planning on posting my review, and then an email saying when I've posted the review. But that is a good point. I should try to keep in better contact with authors.

    Thanks for commenting. Great insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fab cover is great but it's all about personality.

    I want to be treated like a person and not just your newest stepping stone.

    I'm not saying that the author and myself need to go shopping for BFF necklaces or anything, you get the idea.

    If you are nice, have some sense of humor and can be patient, I'll give you a try. (If the book is in my genre )

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)