Saturday, December 3, 2011

Book Review: Cold River by Liz Adair

Cold River
by Liz Adair
Received for Review
Contemporary Romantic Mystery
Goodreads Average Rating: 4.17
Pages: 324


Well here is the summary from Goodreads:

Mandy Steenburg thinks her doctorate in education has prepared her to run any school district - until she tangles with the moonshine-making, coon-dog-owning denizens of a tiny district in Pacific Northwest timber country.

She's determined to make a difference, but the local populace still looks to the former superintendent for leadership. When Mandy lands in the middle of an old feud and someone keeps trying to kill her, instinct tells her to run. And though she has to literally swim through perilous waters, she finds a reason to stay and chance the odds.


My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed reading this novel.


My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: When I was asked to review this novel, I immediately looked at the synopsis on Goodreads. As soon as I saw the phrase moonshine-making, coon-dog-owning denizens of a tiny district in Pacific Northwest timber country, that cinched it-I had to read this novel.

This book was a cute read that had me laughing out loud in various points. I liked Mandy from the very beginning. She was a character that I could relate to from page one. I liked that the romance any mystery were slowly built up until the finale of the novel.

Sometimes, I feel like the romance in novels progresses so quickly. One second they've met and then the next they're married and I always have a moment of disconnect where I think that sure was a fast relationship. That wasn't the case with this novel.

Adair's writing style was fresh, inviting, and intriguing. In addition to liking her characters, I also liked her way of describing the scenery in a way that didn't detract from the novel, but enriched it. I always had a clear image of where each moment was taking place and I really liked that.  

I liked this novel and enjoyed reading it, but for me something was missing to really make this novel a 4 or 5 star novel. However, having stated that, I'd like to reiterate the fact that I really did enjoy reading this novel.

This was just a really good clean romantic mystery that left me laughing one moment and then in deep contemplation the next.It was a great read and I'd definitely recommend reading it, especially if you like romance, suspense, or mystery.


In Summary: A great read that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. I loved the characters, the descriptive writing style, and the humor that was always evident.

Warnings/Side-notes: This novel is extremely clean. No need to worry.


The Wrap-up: A fun, light read for those who love a novel that blends mystery and romance into a comical and pleasurable read.

I received this novel as part of the blog tours Tristi Pinkston helps set up. Thanks Tristi!

Happy reading!

Love,

Danica Page


4 comments:

  1. I didn't think it was missing a thing. I loved this book. A LOT. It was (as we say it in the south) as cute as a bug on a rug. I think she nailed every part of the story-telling, right down to the very end. I love her writing style and I loved the main and secondary story-lines. I am usually not a romance girl, but the suspense added in the mix made this a not too cheezy read for me. I enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Alice, I'm glad that you loved this book It definitely was cute. Her writing was great. And I'm glad you enjoyed my review. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your review, Danica. Love your blog. You are a really busy gal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Liz Adair, you are most welcome. And I'm glad you like my blog.

    I definitely do keep busy, but rather busy than bored. :)

    Once again, great novel.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)