Thursday, December 1, 2011

Book Review: The Moon Coin by Richard Due

The Moon Coin
by Richard Due
Illustrated by Carolyn Arcabascio
Received for Review
MG Fantasy
Goodreads Average Rating: 4.53
Pages: 297


Well here is the summary from Goodreads:

For Lily and Jasper Winter, the Moon Realm began with a single secret bedtime tale. As the children grew older, Uncle Ebb enthralled them with thrilling tales of the Dragondain riding horse-sized, catlike Rinn; mysterious tales of peerin-wielding lunamancers manipulating the magic that lies just beneath the surface of reality; exciting tales of flying dragons, swimming merfolk, stomping giants, and troublesome faeries. But as the magic of their childhood faded, so too did the tales. Eventually, they were just . . . good stories.

Or were they?

Now, nine years after it all began, Uncle Ebb is missing.

Lily and Jasper search for clues, but their uncle's mansion is full of distractions. A Tesla generator thrums in the basement. Prismatic electrimals flit around walls resembling underwater reefs. Then a most unexpected friend comes to their aid, leading them to a hidden room where they find a mysterious coin—the moon coin. Before the night is out, Lily is transported to the real Moon Realm. But the moons are in trouble. The Rinn of Barreth are under siege, and the lunamancers of Dain are beset by the very dragons they once loved. Most horrifying of all, the moon Darwyth has fallen to a villain named Wrengfoul, whose creeping evil now threatens to overshadow all the Realm.

Are Lily and Jasper too late to save the Moon Realm, or will they have enough time to write an ending of their own?

Featuring twenty-two stunning full-color illustrations by Carolyn Arcabascio. Volume One of the young adult fantasy adventure series The Moon Realm.



My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.


My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: Let me start out by saying, I loved the illustrations in this novel. Growing up, I used to love to stare at the illustrations in books...and these were top-notch. So props to Carolyn Arcabascio. She is certainly talented. You don't see illustrations like these every day. Just look at the cover art again and you'll see what I mean.

Richard Due's tale follows the adventures of Lily and Jasper Winter. I loved these characters. Due has crafted an imaginative, entrancing tale that middle grade readers (and anybody for that matter) will adore.

His world-building is excellent and his writing style is inviting. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this tale.

I loved the the idea of the moon coin and the moon realms from the moment I read the synopsis and still am intrigued by this tale. I was transported back into the books of my childhood. And I love getting to reminisce about the great book so of my childhood years.

Had I read this book in my childhood, I can only imagine reading this by flashlight long after my bedtime came desperately trying to finish that last page. I'd be turning the pages so fast they would almost be flying and then I'd feel satisfaction and pure joy has I finished the book. Until I realized that the second book wasn't out yet, and I absolutely needed to see what happened next. In that moment, I'd see my dad walk in and yell at me to turn off the lights and I'd go to sleep feeling pure contentment dreaming of what I just read.

In fact, if you eliminate my dad from that image and replace the flashlight to lamp, that's exactly what happened. This was a book that I absolutely adored, and a book that comes highly recommended.


In Summary: Entrancing pictures, an engaging plot, and a great writing style combine to create a middle grade fantasy that readers of all ages will love.


The Wrap-up: I wasn't the intended audience for this book, but I still thoroughly enjoyed reading it. This was a great read and I still am intrigued by this series. I'd definitely check back in to see what happens in the sequel.


Happy reading!

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next:  Undercurrents by Traci Hunter Abramson



1 comment:

  1. Free Sneak Preview of The Moon Coin! Formatted for ePub, Mobi, or PDF. Please share. Enjoy. http://wp.me/p1BEjH-2U

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)