Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Childhood Faves

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish featuring a new top ten list each week. Everyone can participate just head on over to their blog and sign up. Each week they will post a new top ten list that one of our bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Alright this one is so tough, because childhood stretches a long period of time. I mean I read a ton of good books in my childhood....

So what I'm going to do is my Top Ten Childhood Faves that not enough people read/ or books that I just couldn't not list here. The first 3 will be early childhood, second 3 will be early-middle childhood, and the last 4 will be middle-late childhood (so up to age 12). Here we go.

1. The Very Hungry Catipillar by Eric Carle-I loved this one. I don't even really remember why. I just did. Definitely worth reading.

2. The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister- I loved loved loved this one too. This one is about caring and giving all you have to give. It's about loving others more than yourself. This book was an absolute favorite as a child. Arguably one of my top five children's picture books.

3. You are Special by Max Lucado- This one has a geat moral message. It's about not letting what others think about you effect you. I loved loved loved this story. It's a good read with a great moral about self-esteem and beautiful pictures. Definitely recommended.

4. Magic Treehouse by Mary Pope Osbourne- Anything in this series was golden. I loved these novels. I have always been a historical guru, so anything history I loved. I loved the idea of being able to travel back in time and help save the world.

5. Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene- This series was also golden. I loved a good mystery. Nancy was so likable, her mysteries intriguing, and the dynamics with Ned were great. I desperatley want to reread these books, maybe I will sometime this summer.

These books were around in my mom's childhood, my childhood, and are still going strong. Definitely worth reading.

6. The Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth Winthrop- This book had history, time-travel, and was about the Medieval age (also known as one of my favorite times in fiction) what wasn't to like? This book was also the one that really made me want to start writing my own novels and the idea that came from this book finally morphed into the first novel I ever finished writing. This book definitely holds a special place in my heart for that reason.

7. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling- I started reading these in third grade and fell in love with the idea of wizards, Hogwarts, and the characters. I loved watching Harry battle against Voldemort. This was a series that still has me hooked and really defined my generation.

8. The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale - I loved loved loved this book too. The whole idea of a princess pretending to be a peasant in a land she doesn't know caught my attention immediately. The betrayal and romance in this novel also caught my attention. A great book.

9. Mandy by Julie Andrews Edwards- I loved this book. I read it at lest eight times. This book was beautifully written. In this book Mandy is an orphan who sneaks out and finds a deserted cottage. She starts cleaning it up and calling it home. I loved loved this novel. Recommended to anybody, especially eight-twelve year old girls.

10. Goose Chase by Patrice Kindl- This book was the reason why I read The Goose Girl and was one of my all-time favorite childhood read. I loved the idea of a girl being locked to a tower unable to escape while princes and kings fight for her hand. A great book.

This question really made me think about all the good books I read in my childhood, and now I want to reread all of the ones I listed as well as many more. Let me just say Amelia Bedelia series by Peggy Parish were also fantastic and really helped spark my love of reading.

What about you guys? What are your top ten childhood faves? Feel free to leave your link in the comments section.

Happy reading!

Love,

Danica Page
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)