Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Book Review: The Burn by Annie Oldham

The Burn
By Annie Oldham
Young Adult Sci-Fi/Dystopia
Received for Review
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.07
E-book

 Before getting into what I thought about this novel, here is the summary available on Goodreads: 
The Burn is full of nuclear fallout, roving gangs, anarchy, unreliable plumbing. That's what Terra's father tells her. She has lived her whole life in comfort in a colony at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. She hates it. And she would pay any price to leave. But when Terra finally escapes the colony, she finds out her father is right.

She finds a group of survivors that quickly become friends, and every day with them is a race for survival. When she witnesses and commits unspeakable acts, she has to decide where her loyalty lies: with the colony she despises or The Burn, where every day is filled with nightmares.
 


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions:  World building and character building at its best. A beautifully written novel that dystopian fans will love. 

To start off, I really liked the characters, the setting of this story, and the writing style. This novel was one that I was excited to read from the moment I was asked to review it, and so when I finally got to reading it, I was very excited. 

 I loved the world building in this novel. The colony that Terra lives in and the Burn (what’s left of the world as we k now it) is one that was all too-easy to imagine. The Burn and the colony were worlds that I related to and could see how they could come to be. That was thing I loved about this novel from the very beginning—the world building was terrific. 

I also loved Terra. I found myself getting sucked into her story from the very beginning.  She is a character that I loved and was rooting for from the beginning. I could sympathize with her desire to leave and her fears of leaving. When she pays an ultimate prize for leaving, my heart broke for her. Yet, she didn’t pity herself. She just picked up the pieces and moved on. I loved that.

There were many other characters I liked:  Dave, Nell, and Red. These are few of the masterfully created characters that I liked from the very beginning, but I loved Jack and was drawn to him from the very beginning. I don’t know why there was just something about him that made me really like him. 

Annie is definitely an author that I’ll be keeping an eye on. The sequel to The Burn is coming out in fall 2012 (The Reaping) and she has a faerie tale coming out in the spring (Bound). I will definitely be keeping my eye on these two.

In Summary: An imaginative dystopian novel that caught my attention from the get-go and kept me hooked until the last page. Very well-written and very enjoyable. 

Warnings- Side-notes: The society is a violent one, so there are minor violent scenes. But really the book is clean and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it. 

The Wrap-up: Oldham is a talented author, and one who I will be keeping my eye on. I enjoyed this novel immensely. The world-building was great, the characters were ones that felt realistic, and I liked the overall story-line. 

Additional info Annie Oldham blogs here.

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: Enduring Light by Clara Kelly

4 comments:

  1. new2me

    sounds good
    tnx 4 reviewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been surfing on-line more than 3 hours as of late, but I never discovered any fascinating article like yours. It is lovely worth sufficient for me. In my view, if all site owners and bloggers made good content material as you probably did, the internet will probably be a lot more useful than ever before.
    Scarpa Women's Kailash GTX Lady Hiking Boot

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)