Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Book Review: Defiance by G.C. Naffin



Defiance
(The Successor Series, #1)
G. C. Naffin
YA Fantasy
Received for Review
E-book
Average Goodreads Rating:

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: When I was contacted to review this book, I immediately read the synopsis. After doing so, I had pretty high expectations coming into this novel. I was excited to get to reading it to say the least.

When I started reading this novel, I realized my expectations for this novel were completely wrong…and that was an even better surprise. I happen to love this genre of princess fantasy. It started with Gail Levine Carson’s The Two Princesses of Baramore and picked up speed throughout my childhood. I read Aurelia and Exile by Anne Osterlund and that further cemented my love of this genre.

So when I discovered that this novel fit right in line with the princess expedition type genre two things happened: 1) I was absolutely ecstatic because I love this genre  and 2) my high expectations for this novel increased.

And this novel met those expectations—something that is not an easy feat. I loved the main character Vivian and found her story easy to follow. I also was immediately attracted to her guard Revin. At the beginning of the story, the readers are presented with the mystery of whether Vivian’s parents are dead or just missing. This immediately drew me into the novel and got me emotionally attached to the story. Any story that can do that deserves a high rating.

Throughout the novel, Vivians character grew on me. As I watched her become more confident and stronger, I liked her more and more. The more I read about Revin, the more I liked him. Definitely a guy that I find crush worthy ( and he’s not the bad boy, so I’m doubly impressed; however, if I’m being honest, I’ll have to admit I was also attracted to the bad boy character Declan too).
The ending left me stunned even though I had been wondering if that would happen. The ending left me wanting more. I am now praying that what the ending alluded to doesn’t happen. I’m trying not to give away the ending here, so you’ll just have to read the novel to see what happens. Definitely a recommended book.

In Summary: A book that I REALLY enjoyed reading. Great genre, great writing, great characters, definitely an author that I’ll be keeping tabs on. Plus, the sequel will be going on my need-to-read list.
Warnings/ Side-notes: Incredibly minor references to violence.

The Wrap-up: I’m so glad I received this book for review. I probably wouldn’t have read it otherwise, and I would have been sorely remised if I hadn’t. Definitely comes recommended.

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next:  Finding Fiona by Emily Ann Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)