Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Book Review: Finding Fiona by Emily Ann Ward


Finding Fiona
by Emily Ann Ward
Received for Review
Young Adult Science Fiction
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.86
Pages: 111


Before I get into my review of this novel, here is what Goodreads has to say:

The victim of a brutal attack, Fiona remembers little about her life until she meets someone who claims to be from her past. He tells her that her parents were killed for a human replication machine. He's shocked to discover she's still alive since her body was found in the wreckage of the fire.

She soon travels to her old home in New York to figure out what happened to her and her family. She needs to find out who she is, but more importantly, confront the men who killed her parents.

This coming-of-age scifi novella is full of mystery, action, and romance. It's a perfect weekend read.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: In full disclosure: Emily Ann Ward belongs to the same online writing community that I do, WriYe for all of those who know what that is. I started checking in on Emily’s status of her writing progress and follow her blog. However, I believe that this is an honest review. :) 
To start out, I’ve been hearing about this book on WriYe and on her blog for ages and have been desperately wanting to read this novel after reading a snippet on her blog and reading the synopsis. Basically I’ve been pining to read this one.  
From the very beginning of the novel, I fell in love with Ward’s writing style. The snippet I read didn’t even begin to capture the beauty of her writing. I was enraptured with the story from the very first word to the very last word. 
I loved the premise of this novel, and even though I’m not really sci-fi girl, I loved loved loved this story. (I’m being converted to sci-fi after reading ones like this one.) I loved the main character Fiona. She was twenty, but I feel like the YA audience could easily connect to her story as well as adults. 
I’ve always loved amnesia stories, and this one fit the bill. However, many amnesia stories seem like they came from a cookie-cutter. This one didn’t seem like that. The story was very original and was one that I loved. I’d reread this book in a heartbeat. 
Once again this story had a character that was definitely crush worthy. I don’t quite know why I liked James so much, but I just did. In fact, the novel was full of an all-star cast:
§  Fiona (main character): Absolutely loved her. Ward did a great job of catching her voice and really getting inside her head. The novel was told through first person and I felt deeply connected to the story and to Fiona. Loved her personality. 
§  Hannah (Grandmotherly figure): loved her throughout the entire novel. 
§  Troy (Hannah’s boyfriend): The guy who you can’t decide if you like or not. From the beginning, he was worried about Fiona and that was an admirable trait, but he was just so…well you’ll see. The character who you can never decide if you like or not. 
§  James (crush worthy guy): I already said I loved him. :) 
§  Sarah (You’ll see): Character that you loved to hate, but couldn’t hate. 
So yeah basically this novel was really really good. I’m glad that I had the opportunity to read it. I would definitely recommend this book to anybody regardless of their age. Like I mentioned earlier, this is one that I would reread.

In Summary: A beautifully written novel with a great plot and an all-star cast. This novel comes highly recommended. 

Warnings/Side-notes: This novel contains images of a fire and of minor violence. However, it didn’t offend me and I didn’t find it graphic. I wouldn’t hesitate recommending this novel. 

The Wrap-up: Another author that I’ll be keeping tabs on, because I love her writing. Go out and buy this novel it will be worth it.  

Love,
Danica Page

 Up Next: The Burn by Annie Oldham


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)