Friday, January 27, 2012

Book Review: The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges


The Gathering Storm
(Katerina Alexandrovna, #1)
by Robin Bridges
Received for Review from DAC Tours
Average Goodreads Review:3.82
Pages: 389

Before I get into my review, let's see what Goodreads has to say:

St. Petersburg, Russia, 1888. As she attends a whirl of glittering balls, royal 
debutante Katerina Alexandrovna, Duchess of Oldenburg, tries to hide a dark 
secret: she can raise the dead. No one knows. Not her family. Not the girls at her 
finishing school. Not the tsar or anyone in her aristocratic circle. Katerina 
considers her talent a curse, not a gift. But when she uses her special skill to 
protect a member of the Imperial Family, she finds herself caught in a web of intrigue. 

An evil presence is growing within Europe's royal bloodlines—and those 
aligned with the darkness threaten to topple the tsar. Suddenly Katerina's 
strength as a necromancer attracts attention from unwelcome sources . . . 
including two young men—George Alexandrovich, the tsar's standoffish middle 
son, who needs Katerina's help to safeguard Russia, even if he's repelled by her secret,
 and the dashing Prince Danilo, heir to the throne of Montenegro, to whom 
Katerina feels inexplicably drawn. 

The time has come for Katerina to embrace her power, but which side will 
she choose—and to whom will she give her heart?

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off I'd like to thank Tara and Lisa from DAC tours for giving me the book to review. Thanks!

I was constantly debating between 3.5 and 4 stars and well I've decided on four. I thought Bridges' idea was very original, very intriguing, and very appealing. This new trend of historical paranormal novels is new for me and I was really curious to see what I would think of it. I've always loved historical fiction and I've always loved Russia, so this seemed like a perfect fit. I was intrigued by this book from the beginning. 

Katerina was a character I immediately liked. She wasn't afraid to confront the social norms of the time, and she wasn't afraid to do what she wanted. She was strong, and yet there was a sense of vulnerability about her. I loved that.

I also loved George Alexandrovich from the beginning. He was strong, mysterious, and just a little dangerous (not to mention slightly off limits) so I loved him.

And then Prince Danilo, a character I also really liked. I don't want to say too much here, because I don't want to give anything away. But I'll just say I could see why Katerina was "inexplicably drawn to him" as the synopsis says.

The writing style was good, the characters were extremely likable, and I loved the setting, but something was missing for me. I can't figure out quite what was missing, but something was missing to make it a high four star rating or a five rating.

I did, however, love love love the ending. I am definitely excited to see what happens in the sequel which should be coming out in October of this year.

In Summary: A very enjoyable book that was well-written and entertaining. A book that left me anxious to read the sequel, but a book that lacked something to make it a solid high four/five star rating.

Warnings: Okay minor violence and references to blood, and very very minor sexual references in the loosest sense of the word. Really this is a clean novel. It's not very sexual or violent. It was set in 1888 and is about an aristocracy who obeyed the social customs of the time. So yeah clean.

The Wrap-Up: Once again thanks Tara and Lisa for letting me review this book. A very enjoyable book. I will definitely be keeping my eye out for the sequel. Recommended especially to those who love, romance, historical fiction, and paranormal elements. Also if you like love triangles as much as I do, you'll like this one for that reason alone.

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: Tempest by Julie Cross


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (324) books (308) Book Review (287) asked to review (184) blogging (135) review (118) meme (113) series (112) writing (98) young adult (97) romance (91) realistic (86) contemporary (82) netgalley (77) fiction (75) blog tour (69) adult (57) arc (51) christian (50) reading addiction blog tours (40) Waiting on Wednesday (38) characters (38) my favorites (38) new adult (36) 2012 (35) 2013 (35) writing process (35) Teaser Tuesday (29) Top Ten Tuesday (28) IMM (27) WWW Wednesdays (25) guest post (25) historical fiction (23) fantasy (22) suspense (22) The Chosen One (21) paranormal (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) debut novel 2012 (15) NWOC (14) giveaway (14) writing advice (14) excerpt (13) mystery (13) Black Rose (12) author spotlight (11) chick-lit (11) debut (11) dystopia (11) editing (11) promo (11) sophomore novel (11) 2014 (10) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) covers (8) sci-fi (8) short story (8) standalone novel (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) retelling (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) lists (4) nonfiction (4) novella (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) 2015 (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) amish (3) blog hop (3) debut novel 2011 (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) sports (3) top 10 (3) 3 stars (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Q and A (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) awards (2) college (2) contes (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) abuse (1) action (1) analysis (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) classic literature (1) country challenge (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) inspirational (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) partners in crime blog tour (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) trailers (1)