Friday, January 27, 2012

Book Review: Tempest by Julie Cross


Tempest
(Tempest, #1)
by Julie Cross
Received for Review from DAC Tours
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.96
Pages: 339

Before we get to my review, here is what Goodreads has to say:

The year is 2009.  Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… 
he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time.
 But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his
 jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux 
capacitors – it’s just harmless fun.

That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, 
Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his
 panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his
 previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to
 the future.


Desperate to somehow return to 2009 to save Holly but unable to 
return to his rightful year, Jackson settles into 2007 and learns 
what he can about his abilities.


But it’s not long before the people who shot Holly in 2009 come 
looking for Jackson in the past, and these “Enemies of Time” will 
stop at nothing to recruit this powerful young time-traveler.  
Recruit… or kill him.

Piecing together the clues about his father, the Enemies of Time, and 
himself, Jackson must decide how far he’s willing to go to save Holly… 
and possibly the entire world.

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.

In My Opinion: First off, I'd like to thank Lisa and Tara from the DAC Tours for giving me this book to review. Thanks!


Now then, I have heard mixed things about this book and went into it with mixed feelings. On  the one hand I really really wanted to like it, on the other hand I kept looking for the error in the book that I'd heard about. I think I found that error, but I don't know if I would have if I hadn't been searching for it.  

The book also is up for movie deals already and for the most part people seem to love it. But this is one of those books that people either love or hate and well for me personally I really liked it. I've been wanting to read this one for forever, and had been praying it would be good. It was. I know some people felt disjointed with all the time-travel and the character building, but I didn't. I liked learning more about the characters as the story progressed. In the beginning I didn't know much about them, and I loved learning about them through their actions.

Personally, I thought there was chemistry between Holly and Jackson. That's apparently up for dispute, but I thought they got along great. I loved both of those characters.

I really liked the plot, the characters, the writing, the format--basically I just really liked the book. And once again, like most of the books I've reviewed lately the ending left me dying for more. I really really want to read the sequel. 2013 is looking like it's going to be a great year.

In Summary: A very enjoyable read that I really enjoyed. I loved the characters, the writing, and just the book in general.

Warnings: Language was a little rough. Four-five times it used strong language (f word). There were also references to sex. I didn't find the book offensive though. The sex references were pretty vague, but they were there multiple times.

The Wrap-up: Thanks once again to Lisa and Tara for setting up the DAC tours and for letting me read this book. I really appreciated it. I really enjoyed this book and am anxiously awaiting the sequel and would definitely see the movie if they make one. Definitely recommend this one, but there have been people who hated it, just to warn you.

P.S. I love the cover. From the moment I saw it, I knew I had to read this book.

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: In Dreams by J. Sterling

3 comments:

  1. I think the cover is what made me want to read this book too and now I've read quite a few good reviews of it, I want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I super love this one - I cannot WAIT for book 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Vegan YA Nerds, I know the cover is so good and yeah for the most part I've heard good things about it.

    @Erica, I know. Book 2 needs to come out now!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)