Thursday, January 26, 2012

Book Review: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi


Under the Never Sky
(Under the Never Sky #1)
by Veronica Rossi
Pages: 374
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.28

 Before we get into my review, let's turn to Goodreads for a summary. 

Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she 
spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, 
accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms 
and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime 
she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world
 is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction. 


As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and 
violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called 
the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry 
withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted 
with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions. 

They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, 
whom she considers a barbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while 
Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged 
as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. 
But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that 
will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY.


My rating: 5 out of 5 stars.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I loved loved loved this book. I loved the characters, the plot, the writing, basically everything about this book. I read this because somehow my library got a copy of this weeks after its release. I know shocking! I immediately grabbed it, because I've been hearing about this book for weeks. It was so so so so good. 

Veronica Rossi will definitely be an author I'm going to keep my eyes on. Just look at the cover, yes I know you're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but that is one good cover...and the book is even better.

This was Rossi's debut novel and it just came out and she is definitely an author who will quickly make a name for herself.

I loved Aria and Perry. I loved that they both were strong, but they were also vulnerable. Aria is in a land she doesn't know and somehow manages to stay strong. That's impressive. And then Perry...definitely makes the list of guys I would crush on. He's not a bad boy, but has just enough badness to appease somebody who is suffering from bad boy syndrome.

I don't want to say too much, because I'll give things away, but this book was amazing. I'll be anxiously awaiting the sequel.

In Summary: An amazing novel with great characters, a great plot, and a great writing style that I loved. And a book that left me dying to read the sequel. That ending--I reread it four times. Yes four times. :) 

Warnings: Sexual references, and slight mention of female issues. But I wasn't offended. I'd recommend it, but just know that sex is mentioned very mildly though.

The Wrap-Up: I loved loved loved this book. Definitely recommend reading it. In fact go read it now, or better yet wait until right before the sequel comes out. It will save you a lot of frustration. :)

Love,
Danica Page

Up Next: The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges.


2 comments:

  1. Great review, I can tell you really, really enjoyed this book and I'd like to read it now ;)

    I often judge a book by its cover too, I'm always happy when that pays off!

    Mands

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegan YA Nerds, I hope you it enjoy it as much as I did then. And I'm glad you also look at covers.

    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)