Saturday, January 7, 2012

In My Mailbox (10)

Hello, this is my tenth week involved with In My Mailbox, a weekly blogging meme hosted by The Story Siren. The point is to share the books you have acquired over the week.

This time I'm sharing all the books I got over the Christmas break, because I didn't post any IMM over the break, so this list should actually be quite long.


Books I was gifted/received:

I received a few books for review over the break.



1. Ditched: A Love Story by Robin Mellom.

I received the Uncorrected ARC of this book as a part of the DAC tours that Lisa and Tara set up as part of the Debut Author Challenge 2012.

Here's the summary:  

High school senior Justina Griffith was never the girl who dreamed of going to prom. Designer dresses and strappy heels? Not her thing. So she never expected her best friend, Ian Clark, to ask her.

Ian, who always passed her the baseball bat handle first.
Ian, who knew exactly when she needed red licorice.
Ian, who promised her the most amazing night at prom.
And then ditched her.

Now, as the sun rises over her small town, and with only the help of some opinionated ladies at the 7-Eleven, Justina must piece together — stain by stain on her thrift-store dress — exactly how she ended up dateless. A three-legged Chihuahua was involved. Along with a demolition derby-ready Cadillac. And there was that incident at the tattoo parlor. Plus the flying leap from Brian Sontag's moving car...

But to get the whole story, Justina will have to face the boy who ditched her. And discover if losing out at prom can ultimately lead to true love.

Filled with humor, charm, and romance, Ditched: A Love Story by debut novelist Robin Mellom will have readers dreaming of love on their own prom nights.

I loved this novel. It was a cute read. Check out my review.

2. Enduring Light by Clara Kelley.

I received this one to review from work. This is the sequel and I also had the opportunity to review the first one. I really liked this one and will be posting my official review for work as well as my unofficial one on here in a few days.

Here's the summary:
She leaned toward him and rested her elbows on the brass rail at the foot of her bed. “All right, cowboy, just when did you fall in love with me? I’m definitely curious now.”
He regarded her in the moonlight. “I knew I was a no-hoping goner when I caught that ridiculous hat of yours on the platform at Gun Barrel.”
Julia sucked in her breath. She tried to be severe. “Mr. Otto, nobody falls in love that fast!”
“I did,” he said simply, as he left her room.

Julia Darling is finally able to marry Paul Otto for eternity. But it’s a harsh world for a rancher in turn-of-the-century Wyoming, especially a Mormon rancher. When alienation and threats begin, Julia must prove she’s her husband’s equal in strength and endurance as she learns to let go of scars on the outside and inside.

Bestselling author Carla Kelly has woven a new story of a determined rancher, his wife, and how they discover the depths of love
.

3. The Ember Gods by Andrea Pearson. 

This is the sequel in the YA fantasy Key of Kilenya series. I also had an opportunity to review the first one. My review can be found here. I haven't read this one yet, and am excited to start reading it.

Here's the summary:
Jacob Clark has just returned from the world of Eklaron, where he frustrated the evil plans of the Lorkon and returned the magical Key of Kilenya to its rightful owners. His quest is far from over, though--Aloren is trapped in Maivoryl City by the Ember Gods, and Jacob can't return to save her until he receives the potion that will protect his team from the corrosive influence of the Lorkon.

Balancing between this new world and his own proves tricky. Not only has he started his first year of high school, but his magical abilities are bringing him too much attention. He feels pulled by both sides, hoping he'll figure out his special powers to save Aloren in time.


Books I checked out from the library:

I actually didn't raid the library as much as I wanted to mainly because I used that time to catch up on books I need to review. Now I'm only slightly behind. Two more books to go. :)

However, I did still read quite a few books.

1. Jealousy by Lili St. Crow.

I'm finally almost caught up in this series. The more I read of this series, the more I like it. Dru is a character that I just really like. A review should hopefully be forthcoming. This one was my favorite in the series (It's the third one). And man that cliffhanger ending. I've definitely got to get my hands on the next one.

Here's the summary from Goodreads:

It’s a good thing Dru Anderson is fast. Because the sucker chasing her isn’t slowing down—and he won’t rest until he has tasted her blood and silenced her heart . . .

Dru’s best friend, Graves, and her strange and handsome savior, Christophe, are ready to help her take on the ultimate evil. But will their battle for Dru’s heart get in the way of her survival?


2. Deep End by Traci Hunter Abramson. 

This is the third and final novel in Traci's Undercurrents series. The novel was a good read, slightly cheesy at times, but I really enjoyed it.

Here's the summary from Goodreads:

Matt's hands balled in frustration. . . . He couldn't even acknowledge that he knew the dark-haired beauty down the street<much less that he was married to her. . . . He had walked into this marriage knowing full well that he would be married to a woman in the Witness Protection Program, and that they would have to spend their first year of marriage pretending they didn't know each other.

But little do CJ and Matt know the extent of the danger and loneliness that will haunt their lives. A world-class swimmer with Olympic aspirations, CJ faces overwhelming odds that threaten to drown all her hopes and dreams. Will the deep end prove to be a dead end for CJ and Matt?

In a story where reality is as tentative as the waters of competition, and happiness is as elusive as the forces of evil that conspire to end all their dreams, CJ and Matt's race for safety becomes a marathon of fear.



3. The Saint Squad Series by Traci Hunter Abramson.

I had read the first one Freefall already, but I read the other ones. Lockdown, Crossfire, and Backlash over the break. I really liked this series. Her writing style continually improved.  I loved Crossfire. That was probably my favorite in the series, however the other ones were also really good.

A basic summary of the series is its about a Navy SEALs group...enough said. I love books about Navy Seals. This one did have a religious subplot, and plenty of suspense and romance. That just happens to be one of my favorite genres.

I still think Henderson is my fav, but Abramson's are great.

And that's all for me. What did you guys get this week? Feel free to leave your link in the comments. I read every single one.


~Danica Page

9 comments:

  1. Great haul and i going to go ck out book one of enduring light

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditched sounds like a quick cute read; I'm looking forward to it. Great IMM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimba88, thanks. You'll lhave to let me know what you think of Borrowed Light. I really liked it and am actually going to re-read it tomorrow to help me post a good review of the second one.

    The Sagacity Quest, Ditched is exactly that--a quick, cute read. I'm glad you liked me IMM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. njoy all
    looking 4ward 2 your reviews
    my imm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't heard of any of these books, but I might read one soon. :)
    Take a look at my outfits: www.violinstyle.blogspot.com and follow me if you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Danica, this is a really nice selection - it seems Christmas was good to us both :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Roro, thanks I will.

    @The Violin Style, thanks for leaving the link. I'm not surprised you haven't heard most of most of these. I kind of like strange books at times. However the Strange Angels series and the novel Ditched are pretty popular right now.

    @Lyndsay, I'm glad Christmas was good to you too. And you are most welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I might have to add Ditched A Love Story to my TBR pile, it seems everyone has been saying good things about it, anyway thanks for stopping by and Happy Reading :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Claire, you should do so. It is a great book. You are most welcome and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (322) books (304) Book Review (284) asked to review (181) blogging (135) review (115) meme (113) series (111) writing (98) young adult (95) romance (89) realistic (83) contemporary (79) netgalley (77) fiction (75) blog tour (69) adult (57) arc (50) christian (50) reading addiction blog tours (40) Waiting on Wednesday (38) characters (38) my favorites (38) 2012 (35) 2013 (35) new adult (35) writing process (35) Teaser Tuesday (29) Top Ten Tuesday (28) IMM (27) WWW Wednesdays (25) guest post (24) historical fiction (23) fantasy (22) suspense (22) The Chosen One (21) paranormal (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) debut novel 2012 (15) NWOC (14) giveaway (14) writing advice (14) excerpt (13) mystery (13) Black Rose (12) author spotlight (11) chick-lit (11) debut (11) dystopia (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) promo (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) 2014 (8) covers (8) sci-fi (8) short story (8) standalone novel (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) retelling (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) lists (4) nonfiction (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) 2015 (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) amish (3) blog hop (3) debut novel 2011 (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) novella (3) sports (3) top 10 (3) 3 stars (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Q and A (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) awards (2) college (2) contes (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) abuse (1) action (1) analysis (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) classic literature (1) country challenge (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) inspirational (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) partners in crime blog tour (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) trailers (1)