Monday, February 27, 2012

Book Review: Alias Dragonfly by Jane Singer


Alias Dragonfly
by Jane Singer
Young Adult Historical Fiction
Received for Review from Netgalley
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.22
Pages: 161
Published by Bell Bridge Books

Before I get into my review, here's the summary from Goodreads. 

Fifteen years old. Wanted: Dead or Alive. 


"Don't love a spy," warns fifteen-year-old Pinkerton agent Maddie Bradford, a lonely, rebellious outsider with a mind on fire and a photographic memory. It is 1861, the Civil War has just started and this motherless teen must move with her soldier-father from New Hampshire to Washington, DC-a city at war, packed cheek by jowl with soldiers, Rebel spies, slave catchers and traitors of all stripes bent on waging a war of destruction against the Union, and President Lincoln himself. 

Maddie's journal, written in secret, of course, begins with her arrival at her aunt's DC boardinghouse through the first year of the Civil War, a time, as Maddie puts it, full of "dips and dangers," when she becomes a fearless Union spy. And then there is the mysterious, maddening Jake Whitestone, a young man who awakens something equally dangerous in Maddie: Love in a time of terror. 

Civil War historian, author and lecturer Jane Singer brings her unique voice to Alias Dragonfly.


My Rating: 4 stars out of 5.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off, let me say that I'm so glad that I accepted this book for review on Netgalley, because I loved loved loved this book.

I'm a succor for spy books and historical fiction. Basically, I love this entire genre, so I went into this novel with very high expectations. I was also fairly confident that this book wouldn't live up to my expectations. And I was right, it didn't live up to my expectations--it surpassed them. This novel was even better than I had hoped it would be. 

From the very first page, I was captivated by this story. I loved Maddie's character and found it very easy to connect to her tale. The writing was well-crafted and really conveyed the voice of a fifteen year old girl living in 1861. I easily felt myself getting attached to her character and felt like I was seeing the world through her eyes.

The character development throughout the novel was spectacular. It has been awhile since I read a novel that had characters that I found so likable and easy to connect to.

This book was one that left me smiling and thoroughly intrigued the entire time I was reading it. Every time I started reading it, I found myself being sucked into the story. I would definitely recommend this novel to anybody who loves historical fiction, spy books, war books, and just ya in general. This novel was amazing and I will definitely be keeping tabs on both this series and this author. 

In Summary: A masterfully written YA historical novel that left me captivated from the very first page to the very last page. Plus it's a book about spies, what is not to love?

Warnings/ Side-notes: None, this book is very clean. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anybody.

The Wrap-Up: I really really enjoyed reading this book. Like I've mentioned, this novel comes highly recommended. I for one will be anxiously awaiting for the sequel to come out.

Love,

Danica Page

Up next:  Shooting Stars by Allison Rushby 

3 comments:

  1. Oooh finally a positive review on this one!
    I've had this one sitting on my Kindle since NetGalley approved me for it, and all I've found were other bloggers bashing the book. Maybe I'll give it a chance this week!

    -Kimberly @ www.TurningThePagesx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this author and I don't often read spy books but you've given it such a good review that I want to get a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @MissKimberly Stardust, I have found a ton of negative reviews about this one, but to be honest I really liked it. However, I haven't read The Agency and that is why most ppl don't like this book is because they say it doesn't compare to that novel. As for me, I liked it.

    @Vegan Ya Nerds, the spy elements aren't too pronounced. And like I've mentioned I like it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)