Monday, February 27, 2012

Book Review: Shooting Stars by Allison Rushby


Shooting Stars
by Allison Rushby
Received for review from Netgalley
Young Adult Romance
Pages: 272
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.81

Before I get into my review, here is the synopsis from Goodreads:

Meet Josephine Foster, or Zo Jo as she’s called in the biz. The best pint-sized photographer of them all, Jo doesn’t mind doing what it takes to get that perfect shot, until she’s sent on an undercover assignment to shoot Ned Hartnett—teen superstar and the only celebrity who’s ever been kind to her—at an exclusive rehabilitation retreat in Boston. The money will be enough to pay for Jo’s dream: real photography classes, and maybe even quitting her paparazzi gig for good. Everyone wants to know what Ned’s in for. But Jo certainly doesn’t know what she’s in for: falling in love with Ned was never supposed to be part of her assignment.

My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.

My Overall Impressions/ Thoughts: First off, I'm going to say that I'm so glad this novel comes out tomorrow because I think you should all read it.

From the moment I saw the cover and read the synopsis, I wanted to read this book and so I'm so glad that I got to read it through Netgalley.   I went in with really high expectations and they were met.

This novel is a really compelling realistic contemporary novel about growing up and being who you want to be. 

I loved  Jo's character and her voice. She was a character that I could easily relate to and sympathize with. Her dilemma of whether or not to take the job to take undercover pictures was one that I could understand.  I loved Rushby's writing style. I really felt like I was in Jo's head the entire time. 

I read this novel in one sitting and was absolutely enthralled with the story. I kept trying to force myself to read faster and faster, because I was just so into the novel. This novel was a cute read on the surface--but this novel touched upon some deeper issues that really caused me to reflect and think. 

So yes, this novel is a good (mostly lighthearted) read that was comical and cheesy and cute, but it was also so much more than that.

I loved the characters in this novel. And I loved the chemistry between Ned and Jo. Ned was definitely a guy that I could find myself crushing on. 

I was really impressed with this story  and will definitely be keeping my eye out for other books by this author.  Thankfully she has a lot of other ones for me to choose from. 

In Summary: I really enjoyed reading this novel. It was cute and very well-written, and had me hooked from the beginning. 

Warnings/Side-notes: This novel is very clean. There are some references to suicide and death, but they are very minor. I wouldn't have any qualms about recommending this one.

The Wrap-up: Like I said, I went into this novel with some pretty high expectations, and it surpassed them. However, I will confess that I'm a huge fan of realistic contemporary novels.  I loved this novel and am so glad I got to read it. 

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: I'm not sure yet! 


4 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to read this purely because the author is Aussie and now I want to read it even more, your review is great and I love realistic fiction too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Vegan YA Nerds, yep I bet the Aussie factor would appeal to you. I'm glad you liked my review and that you also like realistic fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your review. I have been wanting to read this and when I posted it in this weeks releases I was reminded again. I think that this is the first blog review that I have read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @FABR Steph, you are so welcome. And I'm stunned to find out that I'm the first blog review you've read of this. It's a great book in my opinion at least.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)