Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Book Review: Someone Else's Life by Katie Dale


(I put both covers, because I love them both. :) )


Someone Else's Life
by Katie Dale
Received for Review via netgalley
Young Adult Contemporary Realistic Fiction
Average Rating: 4.13
Pages: 478

Before I get into my review, here's the summary from Goodreads:

When seventeen-year-old Rosie’s mother, Trudie, dies from Huntington’s Disease, her pain is intensified by the knowledge that she has a fifty-per-cent chance of inheriting the crippling disease herself. Only when she tells her mum’s best friend, ‘Aunt Sarah’ that she is going to test for the disease does Sarah, a midwife, reveal that Trudie was not her biological mother after all... Devastated, Rosie decides to trace her real mother, hitching along on her ex-boyfriend’s GAP year to follow her to Los Angeles. But all does not go to plan, and as Rosie discovers yet more of her family's deeply-buried secrets and lies, she is left with an agonising decision of her own - one which will be the most heart-breaking and far-reaching of all...

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I was thoroughly intrigued with this novel from the moment I looked at the cover and read the synopsis. Once again I went in with high expectations, which is always dangerous. However, once again this book lived up to my expectations.

I was hooked from the moment I started reading this novel. There was just so much going on and every time I thought I figured out the plot there was a twist. That right there made this book good--any book that can keep me guessing is one I'll like.

I wouldn't say that I really liked any of the characters all that much except for Rosie. They all were slightly infuriating, but I think that was the point of the book. 

This book was very powerfully written and I loved the parallel narratives of Rosie and Holly. Both of their stories intrigued me and left me wanting to read more.

This was a book that once I started reading, it stayed on my mind. I read this in one sitting and it's quite large...so that's saying something. 

Basically, I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was incredibly well-written, very moving, and had a great plot line. In other words, I loved reading it.

A Memorable Quote: I haven't been doing this one lately, but this quote stood out to me and so I marked it. FYI: I'm fairly sure this is the same quote as was in the final version, but I'm not 100% sure.

I know it's long, but I love it.

"A person cannot exist without a past. Someone famous said that. 
But what if your entire existence is a lie? It's like I've been wearing 
stilettos all my life, leaving footprints everywhere I go, and then one 
day someone says, "Hey! Those shoes don't belong to you!" and they 
take them away. And I look back, and all I have left are the old 
footprints, which don't even fit my feet anymore, so I can't go back, but I haven't got any new shoes to go forward in, so I'm stuck. Frozen in that place. Not even existing." ~Rosie 

(for me it was page 58, but I don't know if that's the same for you)

I just think that's so powerful. I really love the writing style of this novel. It's so realistic and sincere.

In Summary: A poignant novel that is bound to touch those who read it, and a novel that is extremely well-written. I really loved the writing style.

Warnings/Sidenotes: References to abortion that are pretty mild, but go into minimal detail, a scene where a character harms herself on purpose, minor language, and minor references to sex. 

However, this list is making this novel sound much worse than it is. Overall, it's a really good book. I wouldn't recommend this novel to those who are sensitive toward these types of issues; however, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to most people I know. 

The Wrap-Up: I'm so glad that I was able to receive a copy of this book via Netgalley. I've been wanting to read this one for awhile now, and it was terrific. I know of a few people who didn't like this, because they didn't like the characters. And I can relate, I didn't like most of the characters, but I loved the novel.

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: The Exceptionals by Erin Cashman


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)