Thursday, March 29, 2012

Blogger in the Spotlight...Write My World




This week I'm pleased to introduce Lena of Write my World, who will be starring in this week's Blogger in the Spotlight.

Big welcome, Lena.


Lena's author spotlight:



With that in mind, today I had the opportunity to share one of my favorite authors: Laurie Halse Anderson. Anderson writes two of my favorite genres: contemporary young adult and historical fiction. I just finished one of her historical fictions novels, Chains. I’m getting ready to read the second book in the trilogy, Forged. Later this year, the last book, Ashes, is scheduled for release. I’m excited to read it! Chains was very good. I’ve also read Fever 1793, which is very popular in schools. It’s about the yellow fever outbreak in Philadelphia.

While I like Anderson’s historical fiction, I think she really shines at modern fiction for young adults. I’ve noticed that a lot of readers either like her historical fiction or her contemporary. I like both, but I prefer the contemporary fiction she’s written. I love reading young adult novels about people with real problems. Speak was one an amazing book and one of my favorite young adult novels. Wintergirls is also amazing and one of my favorites. Speak was nominated for some major national awards and I’d heard a lot about it before I read it. But what really made me pick it up was when I saw the movie with Kristen Stewart. I’d been interested in the book before, but once I saw the movie, I had to read it, and of course the book was much better. 

That’s when I got hooked on Andersons books and started reading more about what kinds of books she writes. I’d never heard of Wintergirls when I picked it up, but I’m so glad I did. I actually thought it was a paranormal book because of the cover! But I’m glad I read it—it’s an amazing book about a girl with an eating disorder. It left me gasping in horror a few times, but I had to know what happened next. Definitely a gripping read.
Catalyst is next on my list of her contemporary YA books.

I’m so glad I discovered this amazing writer of young adult fiction. Her books are a little edgy and for a mature teen audience, but she never goes too far. Her books might make readers a little uncomfortable, but not uncomfortable enough to stop reading.


Q & A with Lena:



How long have you been blogging?

Since 2006, so about six years. I started out on Myspace! I stopped for a while after the glory days os Myspace ended, but I started again about a year ago.

Why do you love blogging?

I like getting my thoughts down. I journal a lot, too, and my blog started out as a journal and a way to write about my travel experiences. Now my blog is mostly focused on reading and writing. I’m doing a series of poems right now, some of them from college and some of them more recent.

Why did you name your blog Write my World?

I wanted to have a catchy name that related to writing. I love music, so it was kind of a ‘rock my world’ moment. Plus, that’s what I try to do. Write my world.

Why do you love Jane Eyre and The Great Gatsby?

I read a lot of classics and historical fiction, and I just loved the atmosphere of The Great Gatsby. I felt like I was living in that time, being decadent, involved in the mystery and glamour surrounding Jay. I really love books that draw me in so I feel like I’m living the story. Jane Eyre and The Great Gatsby both drew me in that way.

What do you love about Arkansas?

I’ve always lived here, although I’ve thought about moving away plenty of times. I’ve traveled a lot, too, and whenever I go somewhere, no matter how amazing it is, when I get back I think there’s nowhere I’d rather live. I still like to visit other places, and maybe one day I’ll move, but for now, this is home.

Why do you love writing? What kind of writing do you love?

I’ve always loved writing, even when I was a kid. I’ve only been writing novels for a few years, but I’ve always written poetry (some of it completely cringeworthy!) and kept journals.

What can you tell me about your books The Superiors and The Vigilantes?

They are the first two books in an urban fantasy series I’m publishing. They are about a ‘superior’ race that takes over the world from humans. The idea was to imagine what it would be like if there was something higher on the food chain than people—how they would treat humans, and what role humans would play. It could have been aliens or a new breed, but I chose to write about vampires, since they feed from humans anyway.

What made you want to write about Vampires?

I read a few vampire series, and I started wondering why vampires are always subject to human rule, since they are so much stronger and faster and smarter…basically superior to humans. So that’s the premise of the series. The Superiors are vampires who rule humans.

What are you currently reading and what are you going to read next?

Right now I’m reading The Count of Monte Cristo and Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. I’m always trying to catch up on all the classics I haven’t read, but I also love young adult novels. I’d heard a lot about Asher’s book, and one of my book clubs chose it, so I’m working on that. I’m also listening to Summerland by Michael Chabon on audiobook. I always have a lot of books going on at once!

Anything else you think readers should know about you?

I always consider myself a reader first, a writer second. After all, without readers, where would writers be?

  
You are most welcome, Lena. Thanks for stopping by.


Well that's all for this week's Blogger in the SpotlightBe sure to check out Lena's blog, Write My World.


Also, if you're interested in being spotlighted, please see the Blogger in the Spotlight page. Also, I have a ton of spots opening up for spotlights, so please email me if you're interested.
Love,
Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)