Monday, March 19, 2012

Book Review: Blindsided by Priscilla Cummings


Blindsided
by Priscilla Cummings
Young Adult Contemporary/Realistic fiction
Release Date: July 8,2010
Average Goodreads rating: 3.63
Pages: 224

Before I get into my review, here is the summary from Goodreads: 

Fourteen-year-old Natalie O'Reilly's world is turned upside down 
with the news that she will soon go blind. As if this weren't shocking 
enough, she is forced to face the fact that she must now attend a school 
for the blind to learn Braille and how to use a cane. As Natalie tackles 
the skills that will help her to survive in a sighted world, she inwardly 
hopes for a miracle that will save her sight. But will that miracle come, 
or will she need to learn to embrace her new life? 

My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I went into this novel without having heard anything about it. I'd been eyeing this book in my bookstore for months and so on my birthday when it was 25% off I just decided to get it. 


I was excited to read this one after reading the synopsis, but didn't really have high expectations for it. I started reading this book and was drawn into the story. However, it didn't elicit the emotional response as strongly as I had hoped it would.


This was a story about a girl who was going blind and yet it didn't tug on me quite like I had expected it would. However, I loved the character Natalie and the way she dealt with things. I loved practically all the main characters in the book. The story line was great and the novel as a whole was very powerful. It just wasn't as powerful as I had hoped.


Yet, the novel is still an emotional read and is still very enjoyable. I enjoyed reading it and don't regret buying it at all. In fact, I could see myself rereading it one day. 

In Summary: A very well-written and powerful novel that I enjoyed reading, but one that I wished had tugged at my emotions a little bit more. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Some very minor references to male anatomy and sex. Very very very minor references. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. 

The Wrap-up: A novel that I really enjoyed. Going blind would be absolutely terrible and I think Cummings did a good job of illustrating that. However, I felt like she could have made that point a little more powerfully. Overall, this novel was a very enjoyable read. 

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

4 comments:

  1. What were your expectations from the story?have you ever been taking care of a blind person?only when you do experience it can you feel the emotional tug..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand where you're going from. I'm sure that taking care of a blind person elicits a very strong emotional reaction.

      I can't begin to imagine what that's like and I thought that this book would give me a glimpse into the world of being blind...it did. This book was very powerful and made me rethink a lot of things.

      It was a great read just not my favorite I've read on the subject. Thanks for commenting though and I appreciate your opinion.

      Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. I really like this series. I hope the author continues to write more of the Jane Candiotti series. When I read the bio on the author that was involved with the Dexter series I was sold.

    Mica
    Customer recommendations for Maid Service Warwick NY visit site

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)