Thursday, March 1, 2012

Book Review: The Exceptionals by Erin Cashman


The Exceptionals
by Erin Cashman
Received for Review via DAC Tours
YA Paranormal/Fantasy
Pages:
Average Goodreads Rating:
Release Date: April 1, 2012

Well before I get to my review of the novel, here's the summary available on Goodreads:

Born into a famous family of exceptionally talented people, 15-year-old 
Claire Walker has deliberately chosen to live an average life. But 
everything changes the night of the Spring Fling, when her parents 
decide it's high time she transferred to Cambial Academy--the 
prestigious boarding school that her great grandfather founded for students with supernatural abilities.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off, let me thank Tara and Lisa for setting up the 2012 Debut Author Challenge Book Tours. Without them, I wouldn't have got to read this novel. So thanks again!

The moment I started reading this novel, I was absolutely enthralled. As soon as I read the first page, I knew that this was a book that was going to occupy my thoughts until I finished it. 

I love this genre. Ever since I read Harry Potter and the somewhat Harry Potter-esque Charlie Bone series, I've loved series that centered around special/magical people who live in a boarding school. 

However, having said that, Cashman's novel was very original and didn't feel like a knock-off of Harry Potter. If it had, I wouldn't have enjoyed this nearly as much. In this book people have "specials" or one magical ability. This is a concept that I have also loved.

To turn my attention to the characters, I loved Claire. She was a character that felt real and one that I could relate to and understand. I loved watching her grow and progress throughout the novel.

And as for Dylan, I loved loved this character. However, I'm a succor for the mysterious boy who people warn you to stay away from angle. Dylan was a guy that I absolutely loved reading about. Dylan is definitely one who's making my crush list that's for sure.

In Summary: Overall, this novel was really well-written, very interesting, and a delightful read that has left me anxious to read the sequel. Very well done.

Warnings/Side-notes: No, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to any reader of any age. Young young adult readers as well as adult young readers will enjoy this novel in my opinion.

The Wrap-up: I do love this genre; however, I thought that this one was very intriguing, well-written, plus the love interest was just roguish enough for me to love him. Great characters, great plot, great writing.  I feel that fans of the paranormal-boarding school tradition will find this a beautiful addition to the genre. 

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: On Little Wings by Regina Sirois 

5 comments:

  1. I love that you loved this! Anything magical is a win in my book, but it sounds the each person having ONE thing they can do is pretty rad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is almost nothing better than starting a book and knowing from the first sentence, paragraph/page that you are going to love the book! It's such a great feeling. I'm going to look this up on Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lisa, thanks. And yes, I thought the concept was pretty rad.

    @Vegan YA Nerds, Yep that really is a great feeling. I like how you phrased that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the exceptionals was a very good read i hope its the first of many. I would give it five stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a very good book. Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad that you loved this book. I gave it four stars, but I can definitely see why you would give it 5.

      Delete

For the next 18 months, I won't have the ability to check my comments as often as I would like to, so for that period of time, I'm adding word verification. Sorry for any inconvenience.

I love your comments though, they make my day. So please keep commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (304) books (271) Book Review (243) asked to review (157) blogging (132) meme (104) writing (98) review (79) young adult (76) blog tour (69) series (68) netgalley (63) fiction (61) realistic (49) arc (47) romance (47) contemporary (46) adult (44) reading addiction blog tours (40) characters (38) writing process (35) 2012 (34) Waiting on Wednesday (33) 2013 (31) christian (31) IMM (27) Teaser Tuesday (27) my favorites (27) WWW Wednesdays (24) guest post (24) Top Ten Tuesday (23) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) new adult (19) letters (18) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) fantasy (16) historical fiction (16) contests (15) debut novel 2012 (15) paranormal (15) NWOC (14) writing advice (14) giveaway (13) Black Rose (12) excerpt (12) suspense (12) author spotlight (11) editing (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) promo (10) sophomore novel (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) mystery (9) covers (8) debut (8) short story (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) chick-lit (7) debut novel 2013 (7) dystopia (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) sci-fi (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) lists (4) nonfiction (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) amish (3) blog hop (3) debut novel 2011 (3) middle grade (3) retelling (3) sports (3) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Q and A (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) awards (2) college (2) contes (2) howard books (2) novella (2) rant (2) standalone novel (2) top 10 (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) abuse (1) action (1) analysis (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) classic literature (1) country challenge (1) design (1) inspirational (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) male pov (1) month overview (1) partners in crime blog tour (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) trailers (1)