Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Book Review: Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter


Goddess Interrupted
(Goddess Test, #2)
by Aimee Carter
Received for review from publisher via netgalley
Young Adult Paranormal
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.06
Release Date: March 27, 2012 (today)
Pages: 304

Before I get into my review, here's the summary from Goodreads:

Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life with Henry in the Underworld, she'll have to fight for it.Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.Henry's first wife, Persephone. 

My Rating: 3.5 out 5 stars.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off, I'd like to thank netgalley and the publishers for allowing me to review this book.

This novel was a roller coaster for me. I loved it and then I was less than enraptured by it and then I loved it again and then I was than thrilled again. Basically, this was a bridge novel. And yet, as far as bridge novels go, this one was better than most. 

I really enjoyed this novel and loved seeing how Carter built on her story. I loved Kate in the first novel, and while this novel didn't necessarily point out her strongest sides--I still loved her character. She is willing to fight for what she wants and what she loves.

While some contend that Persephone is treated in a misogynistic stereotype, I feel like Carter did an excellent job fleshing out her character. I liked getting to hear her side of the story and while I don't think I'd like her as a friend, I feel like she wasn't the monster people make her out to be.

And while I was frustrated with Henry for most of the novel, you can't help but like him.

This book was well-written, entertaining, and I really enjoyed it. It was a solid three until the end...which bumped it up to a 3.5.

Oh my gosh! That ending! I was left stunned, mouth open and a floored expression screaming "what? When does the next novel come out?"

An enjoyable book and I definitely will be looking forward to thee third one after that cliffhanger ending. 

In Summary: An enjoyable novel, but one that was not quite as good as the first one.

Warnings/Side-notes: Sex scene--but very vague and not at all detailed. 

The Wrap-up: I really enjoyed this novel. I enjoyed the writing style, the characters, and am definitely enjoying this series. This wasn't her best novel, but it was still really good. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)