Monday, March 19, 2012

Book Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter


The Goddess Test
(Goddess Test, #1)
by Aimee Carter
Asked to Review the Sequel
Release Date: April 19, 2011
Goodreads Average Rating: 3.89
Pages: 293

Before I get into my review, here is the summary from Goodreads: 

It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. 
Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to 
start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her 
mother won't live past the fall.Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured.
 And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and 
if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries 
to pass seven tests.Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a 
girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. 
If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess. 

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I had heard mixed things about this one. I knew some people who loved it and some people who had hated it. However, I'd been wanting to read it and so when the sequel was up on Netgalley I decided to get it and then track down the first novel. 


I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed this book. This marks the third retelling of the myth of Persephone that I've read in the last four months and so of course internally I couldn't help comparing this one to the others. I absolutely loved all of these retellings. 


This one was a very cute and enjoyable read. I was intrigued from the very beginning. I felt like the writing was well-written, the characters were well-crafted, and the plot presented an interesting twist to the tale. I loved the characters Kate and Henry. Their relationship sucked me in from the beginning.


I loved the idea of the novel and had high expectations for it. I don't know if the novel quite reached those expectations, but that was probably because they were pretty high. I was, however, thoroughly entertained and I read this in one sitting. That right there is a mark of a good book.


The ending left me absolutely satisfied and at the same time dying to read more. In other words, it was a great ending. I'm definitely excited to see what happens next. 

In Summary: A very imaginative retelling of Persephone that I absolutely adored. Definitely recommend this one. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Sexual references. They were very mild though and not at all detailed.

The Wrap-up: A novel that was thoroughly intriguing, entertaining, and amusing. Even though I heard mixed things, I really liked it and am excited to read the sequel. 

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: A post on all three of the Persephone novels I've read recently.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I haven't read this book yet but, like you I've heard mixed reviews. I'm glad you liked it though.

    Book Enslaved

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)