Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Book Review: Honor Redeemed by Loree Lough


Honor Redeemed
(First Responders, #2)
by Loree Lough
Received for Review from publisher via netgalley
Adult Christian fiction
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.74
Release Date: February 1, 2012
Pages: 271

Before I get into my review, here's the summary available on Goodreads:

Highly skilled Search and Rescue (SAR) team leader, Honor Mackenzie, works almost as hard at guarding the dark secrets of her past as she does when training SAR dogs. As for widowed Sun reporter Matt Phillips, not even his former SAR work is as important as protecting his ten-year-old twin boys. When a jumbo jet crashes outside Baltimore one cold night, their respective jobs put them face-to-face at the grisly scene--and force Matt and Honor to reconsider the difficult decisions that resulted in their long-standing "single forever" status.As Matt tries to come to terms with his feelings for Honor, he gets word that she hasn t reported in since starting the search for a missing child. Reverting to his SAR training, Matt leads the search team as a vicious winter storm bears down on the area. Will he find her in time? And if he does, will they find their way back to each other or go back to living life alone?

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5. (would be 4, except for that epilogue).

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off I'd like to thank the publisher and netgalley for giving me a chance to read this book.

I didn't read the first in the series before reading this one. While that would probably be the best way to read this novel, you can jump into this one and enjoy it without feeling lost.

I don't know where to begin with this one. I loved the novel, I loved the writing style, and I loved the plot. Lough did a great job of drawing me into the story she created. I was intrigued by the relationship between Matt and Honor and loved watching them grow in this novel.

Honor had been dealt a bad hand, but the way she dealt with it was admirable and I found myself really drawn toward her character. And Matt was so silently strong. He too had faced a lot in his life and yet he persevered. 

The synopsis led me to believe that the novel was going to be very different than it was, but I still enjoyed the novel. It's not as action packed as the synopsis made it sound. Rather, it pays more attention to the characters and their relationships. Which I honestly didn't mind.

Lough did a great job of writing this novel and I loved it up until the very end. I'm trying not to spoil anything, so I'll be vague. I got to the end and thought to myself "you're kidding me. No!" I was absolutely floored and to be honest angry. I wanted a certain ending and it ended very differently than I wanted it to. 

If Honor and Matt's story is continued in the next novel, then the ending is bearable. But if in the third novel, we are introduced to completely new characters, then I'm going to be ticked. 

Basically, this novel was great and very well-written. I'll be curious to see what happens next and it better be about Honor and Matt. :)

In Summary: A novel that is masterfully written full of characters I love, but one that missed the action and the ending I would have liked to make this a superb novel. However, I really did enjoy reading this one. And I will definitely be checking checking back in on this series. 

Warnings/Side-notes: Very clean. Minor references to alcohol and minor flashbacks to a rough family life. But it didn't go into much detail.

The Wrap-up: A novel that I really enjoyed, but that ending...left me frustrated, but also eager to read more. I loved the author and everything about this novel. I just really hope the third one is still about Honor and Matt and not new characters. 

Love,

Danica Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)