Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Book Review: The Merchant's Daughter by Melanie Dickerson


The Merchant's Daughter
by Melanie Dickerson
Received for Review from Publisher via netgalley
Young Adult Christian Historical Romance
Pages: 284
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.85
Release Date: November 29,2011

Before I get into my review, here's the summary from Goodreads:

An unthinkable danger. An unexpected choice. Annabel, once 
the daughter of a wealthy merchant, is trapped in indentured 
servitude to Lord Ranulf, a recluse who is rumored to be both terrifying 
and beastly. Her circumstances are made even worse by the proximity
 of Lord Ranulf's bailiff---a revolting man who has made unwelcome 
advances on Annabel in the past.Believing that life in a nunnery is 
the best way to escape the escalation of the bailiff's vile behavior 
and to preserve the faith that sustains her, Annabel is surprised to 
discover a sense of security and joy in her encounters with Lord 
Ranulf. As Annabel struggles to confront her feelings, she is involved 
in a situation that could place Ranulf in grave danger. Ranulf's future, 
and possibly his heart, may rest in her hands, and Annabel must 
decide whether to follow the plans she has cherished or the calling 
God has placed on her heart.

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars. 


My Overall Thoughts/Impressions:First off, I'd like to thank the publisher and netgalley for allowing me to review this novel.


Alright, this is a novel that I've had my eye on for forever. I love Christian fiction and YA novels. Any book that combines those two genres is definitely bound to catch my eye. The fact that this was historical fiction only made me more excited. Also, I had read The Healer's Apprentice and loved that one. Suffice it to say that I went in with really high expectations.


This novel surpassed my expectations. I absolutely adored it. It was written so beautifully and I absolutely adored the characters. Ranulf and Annabel switched off narrating the story and I loved hearing from both of their perspectives. Usually, I like one perspective better than the other, but that was not the case with this novel. Both of these characters were ones that I absolutely loved. 


As you probably gathered, this novel had a loose Beauty and the Beast-esque quality to it. I absolutely loved that. I've always been interested in seeing how people can spin classic fairy tales into a new novel. This novel did that and even added in a Christian element. 


I was thoroughly enraptured by this tale. From the moment I started reading, I was absolutely mesmerized and needed to know what happened next. 


The plot was well-developed, the the writing was masterful, and the characters were lovable.  I absolutely loved this book.


The Christian elements never felt overbearing, but was definitely at the forefront of this novel in several moments. I thought Dickerson masterfully entwined the fairy tale and Christianity.  


In Summary: A masterfully written novel that offers a new twist on the famous fairy tale Beauty and the Beast. A novel that ties in Christian elements and YA elements. One that I absolutely loved. 


Warnings/Side-notes: This one is clean. Don't worry about this one.


The Wrap-up: I'm so thankful I was able to read this one. I absolutely loved it. I definitely recommend this one to fans of Christian fiction.


Love,


Danica Page


Up Next: Shifting Light by Emily Ann Ward


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review, Danica! So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Melanie, you are most welcome. And thanks for writing such a great book!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)