Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Book Review: The Night She Disappeared by April Henry


The Night She Disappeared
by April Henry
Received for Review from the publisher via Netgalley
Young Adult Thriller/Mystery
Pages: 240
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.74
Release Date: March 13, 2012

Before I get into my review, here is the summary from Goodreads:

Gabie drives a Mini Cooper. She also works part time as a delivery 
girl at Pete’s Pizza. One night, Kayla—another delivery girl—goes 
missing. To her horror, Gabie learns that the supposed kidnapper had 
asked if the girl in the Mini Cooper was working that night. Gabie can’t 
move beyond the fact that Kayla’s fate was really meant for her, 
and she becomes obsessed with finding Kayla. She teams up with 
Drew, who also works at Pete’s. Together, they set out to prove that 
Kayla isn’t dead—and to find her before she is.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.


My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I would like to start by thanking the publisher and netgalley for allowing me to review this book. 


Having said that, let's get into my review. Ever since I saw the cover and read the synopsis, I knew that this was a book that I wanted to read. In other words, the premise left me absolutely enthralled.


How could she continue to live knowing that she was the one who was supposed to be kidnapped, but instead somebody else was? 


I loved this novel. It was a fast-paced thriller that had my mind racing as I tried to solve the mystery and me trying to read as fast as possible so I could figure it out. 


I started this at about midnight and stayed up until I had finished it. Any novel that results in lack of sleep is a good one. I loved the different perspectives in the story. The story was told from Gabie, Drew, Kayla, and the kidnapper. However, most of the book was told by Gabie as she is the central character.


I loved the characters in this novel, the plot, the writing style, and like I already mentioned the premise of the novel. 


The novel centered on Gabie trying to come to grips with the knowledge that she didn't get kidnapped and yet she should have been; however, it also dealt with Kayla dealing with her kidnapper, as well as Drew's perspective and the kidnappers.


There was romance in the novel, but it was definitely not the focal point. I thought this one was very well-written. I wouldn't necessarily call myself a thriller guru by any means, but I think both readers who like thrillers and those who don't will like this one.


The suspense was nicely built and it left me intrigued until the very end. I might have liked to learn more about the kidnapper and his motives at the end, but I also sort of liked how it ended.


In Summary: A fast-paced thriller novel with a very intriguing premise and excellent writing. One that I really enjoyed reading.

Warnings/Side-notes: Drug references, sexual tension (but not the act itself), and minor violence. But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. 


The Wrap-up: This was one that I had been eagerly anticipating, and it lived up to my expectations. A great novel that I thoroughly enjoyed.


Love,


Danica Page


Up Next: The Merchant's Daughter by Melanie Dickerson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)