Friday, March 2, 2012

Book Review: On Little Wings by Regina Sirois


On Little Wings
by Regina Sirois
Received for Review from Tristi Pinkston's blog tours
Young Adult Contemporary Realistic Fiction
Pages: 361
Average Rating: 4.16

Before I get into my review, here's the summary from Goodreads:

This is a story of the countless ways we get love wrong. And why, despite every disappointment, we keep fighting to get it right. 

Jennifer must do the impossible – bring her mother home. When a family is torn apart by death, two sisters take violently divergent paths and the story of their family appears to end terribly and abruptly. Two decades later Jennifer never dreams that the photo she finds stuck between the pages of a neglected book will tear open a gaping wound to her mother’s secret past. Abandoning her comfortable life with her parents and best friend in the wheat fields of Nebraska, Jennifer’s quest for a hidden aunt leads her to the untamed coast of Maine where she struggles to understand why her mother lied to her for sixteen years. 

Across the grey, rocky cove she meets Nathan Moore, the young, reluctant genius surrounded by women who need him to be brother, father, friend, provider, protector and now, first love. The stories, varied, hilarious, and heartbreaking, unfold to paint a striking mural of the shattered past. As Jennifer seeks to piece together her mother’s story, she inadvertently writes one for herself.

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off, I'd like to thank Tristi for setting up these tours and tell her how much I enjoyed being a part of them.

Now, for my review. I went into this novel with average expectations. I thought it would be a decent read, but that it wouldn't be anything special. And let me tell you how wrong I was. I started reading this without expecting this book to blow me away. I got to page twenty and I realized how wrong I was.

This book was absolutely beautiful and breathtaking. The more I read, the more I loved the story. I loved the characters, the writing, the plot, and basically everything about this novel. It was so beautiful.

This book is about families who are struggling to stay together, the sense of loyalty one feels to family, the fear of letting yourself feel too deeply, the fear of leaving, and the bonds that can't be broken.

I loved Jennifer. She was absolutely one of my favorite characters I've read about recently. And then there was Nathan. I really liked him from the moment he entered the novel. I also loved Claire and Sarah and Little. Basically, I'm going to stop myself there, but I could easily go on for a very long time in order to list all the characters I loved. Let's just say I loved all of them.

And then that ending, it was so perfect and yet it left me so infuriated and excited at the same time. The ending fit the novel, and yet I don't want it to be the end of Jennifer, Claire, Sarah, and Nathan's story.

This book was one that resonated within me; one that I know will stick with me long after I turned the last page. I loved loved loved this novel. It comes highly recommended.

In Summary: It's been awhile since I've read a novel this touching, this poignant, this beautifully written, and this compelling. Excellent work and I'll be keeping my eye out on this author.

Warnings: Very vague references to sex and drinking. Very very vague. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this one to even the most sensitive reader. This book is really clean and really good.

The Wrap-up: I really didn't anticipate loving this novel. That just goes to show how much I know. I loved this one. Definitely one of the best books I've read in awhile. If you like realistic, contemporary novels with family drama, this is the novel for you. I know I loved it at least.

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: The Merchant's Daughter by Melanie Dickerson


2 comments:

  1. Danica,
    I was touched by your review. I am so glad that Jennifer's journey spoke to you. I would like to offer two ebooks to the readers of your choosing, or one signed paperback, whatever you deem best.
    Best wishes!
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regina,

    Thanks! It always means so much to me when I get feedback on my reviews, especially if the feedback is from the author.

    And I've sent you an email about the giveaway. That sounds great. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)