Saturday, March 24, 2012

Book Review: Perilous Light by Alyssa Rose Ivy



Perilous Light
(The Afterglow Trilogy, #2)
By Alyssa Rose Ivy
Received for Review from Author
Young Adult Fantasy
Release Date: March 30, 2012
Average Goodreads Rating: 5 

Before I get into my review, here’s the summary available on Goodreads:

Would you sacrifice everything for a world you barely knew?


A year has passed since Charlotte and Kevin first stepped through the gate into Energo and neither has been able to settle back into their normal lives. Charlotte tries to distract herself from thoughts of Calvin with the antics of James and her growing friendship with Liam. Kevin can’t seem to shake his feelings  for Samantha as he adjusts to his new identity as 
a college 
basketball player. 




When they unexpectedly return to Energo, both Charlotte and 
Kevin must face their fears and become the 
leaders they 
were always meant to be.


My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.

My Overall thoughts/Impressions: After only four pages, I was reminded of why I loved the first novel in this series so much. Alyssa is a master story weaver. Four pages in and I was absolutely captivated by this tale. 

I absolutely loved this novel. Out of all the forty novels I’ve read this year, this is the second one to receive a five.

The characters are very well developed. I loved the characters Charlotte, Kevin, and Liam. I still haven’t made up mind about Calvin yet, but I know I loved reading about him. I have to admit that Liam just might be my favorite character. He’s the guy that everybody wished they knew.  I’m definitely looking forward to seeing how his character evolves in the next book.

Charlotte is a strong heroine, but also one who has her failings. I loved that she was so strong and yet still plagued with weakness.

I absolutely love the world-building in this novel as well. In fact, her world-building is tied for the best I’ve seen this year.

This is a very well-written fantasy novel that mixes just enough realism, romance, intrigue, and adventure to leave me thoroughly entertained and absolutely captivated by the tale.

Often times, the sequels to novels aren't as good as the first one and seem to lag. This one was amazing and enhanced the tale. Basically, this is one of the view times I've liked the sequel better than the first one. That was also another reason why I loved this book. 

I definitely recommend this series to anybody and everybody. Trust me—you want to buy this one. 


In Summary: One of the best novels I’ve read this entire year. I absolutely adore Alyssa’s writing style, her characters, her story line, and basically everything about this book. Just read it and you’ll see what I mean.

Warning/Side-note: There are minor instances of violence, but they are very minor.  Really nothing in this book would result in me hesitating to recommend it.

The Wrap-up: An absolutely beautiful novel that I adore. One of the best novels I have read this year and even in the last few years. I will definitely be anxiously waiting for the third and final novel in this series. I am absolutely enthralled with this series and am so thankful that I was able to read both this one and the sequel.

Since I loved this series, I'm posting the link to show you guys where you can buy this lovely read. 

To purchase Beckoning Light  (the first book in the series), click here. 

I really do recommend buying this book. It's only 99 cents. It's worth it. 

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: Bound by Annie Oldham


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the awesome review! I am so glad you enjoyed Perilous Light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. Thanks for allowing me to review it.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, lovely review! If this is one of your fave novels, I need to add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. And yest, I'd recommend adding this one to your list.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)