Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Book Review: Shifting Light by Emily Ann Ward


Shifting Light
(The Protectors Prequels, #1)
By Emily Ann Ward
Received for Review from author
Average Goodreads Rating: (I'm the first to rate it)
e-book
Release Date: March 2,2012

Before I get into my review, here is the synopsis from Goodreads: 

When a new boy moves to town, Sashe realizes how suddenly 
her life is about to change. Though non-magic themselves, she and 
her sister have grown up with shape changers, and now a deadly foe is 
out to banish the shape changing magic from the country. The Protectors 
have the ear of the king and they've cast a curse on the shape 
changers designed to slowly kill them off. 


Sashe is forced to consider her survival when a friend of hers is killed 
because her father refused to help the Protectors. She's slowly falling 
for the new boy, but she must choose whether she and her sister can 
stay with the shape changers with their dangerous future. Should they 
decide to stay, how will they protect themselves against such 
powerful enemies? 

First novella in the Protectors prequels. Set ten years before 
Promising Light and two years before Fire and Light.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: Disclaimer: I read Promising Light first, so I had already been introduced to many of these characters.

I absolutely loved learning more about Sashe, Sierra, Dar, Evan, and Seth. From the very first page, I was entranced by their stories. 

The story was mainly told from Sashe's perspective. Her voice seemed so real to me. That is one thing I love about Emily Ann Ward is the characters always feel so realistic. I always feel like I'm inside that character's head, rather than reading about a character.

I loved seeing the budding romance between Sashe and Seth grow. The world Emily created was portrayed in a masterful light. I loved everything about this story. I loved the plot, the writing, the characters, and the relations between the characters.

Sierra, Evan, Dar, Sashe, and Seth's interactions with one another were hilarious in some parts, heartwarming in others, and just down right entertaining.

In my min mind, Emily Ann Ward is becoming synonymous with a good story. This is the third story I've read by her, and I've been enraptured by them all. I can definitively say this will not be the last one I read by Emily Ann Ward either.

In Summary: Emily Ann Ward has created yet another compelling beautifully written novel that left me hooked from the first page. Definitely one that I recommend.

Warnings/Side-notes: Minor violence and romance. Nothing that would cause me to hesitate to recommend this to any reader.

The Wrap-up: I absolutely adored this novel. I'd echo Emily Ann Ward's recommendation to read this one before Promising Light. Definitely interested to see what happens next. The three prequel novellas and the actual trilogy are both series that I will be keeping my eye on and anxiously awaiting to read.

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: Always the Designer, Never the Bride by Sandra D. Bricker

2 comments:

  1. I've only read of this author and her books on your blog and thanks for the tip about reading this one first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Vegan YA Nerds, that's interesting. But I really do love this author and I think she should be more popular.

    And you're most welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)