Monday, March 26, 2012

Book Review: Starters by Lissa Price


Starters
(Starters, #1)
by Lissa Price
Received for Review from publisher via netgalley
Young Adult Dystopian
Release Dates: March 13,2012
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.05
Pages: 368

Before I get into my review, here is the summary available on Goodreads:

HER WORLD IS CHANGED FOREVER 

Callie lost her parents when the Spore Wars wiped out everyone between the ages of twenty and sixty. She and her little brother, Tyler, go on the run, living as squatters with their friend Michael and fighting off renegades who would kill them for a cookie. Callie's only hope is Prime Destinations, a disturbing place in Beverly Hills run by a mysterious figure known as the Old Man. 

He hires teens to rent their bodies to Enders—seniors who want to be young again. Callie, desperate for the money that will keep her, Tyler, and Michael alive, agrees to be a donor. But the neurochip they place in Callie's head malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, and going out with a senator's grandson. It feels almost like a fairy tale, until Callie discovers that her renter intends to do more than party—and that Prime Destinations' plans are more evil than Callie could ever have imagined. . . . 

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars. (My third 5-star rating of the year)

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: WOW! I loved loved this book. From the moment I started reading it I was hooked. This was Lissa Price's debut novel and I'm definitely interested in seeing what else this author writes. I absolutely can't wait until the sequel. That ending literally killed me.

I loved the main character Callie and the way that Price depicted her. I really felt like I was inside this character's head. I loved hearing her thought process and seeing why she did the things she did. I loved her personality. Her determination and her willing to sacrifice left me awed.

I loved the premise of this novel and the way she executed the novel. This was one novel that I always found myself asking what was going to happen next. Every time I thought I had the plot figured out, she would insert some twist that was surprising but inevitable. 

And then like I said that ending left me absolutely speechless and speculating for hours after I finished reading the novel. I turned the last page and wanted to reread the whole novel, but I convinced myself not to do that. I am, however, dying for the sequel to come out.

Lissa Price has definitely made a name for herself and has become an author I'm going to be keeping tabs on. 

I've heard over and over that the market is flooded with dystopian novels...that may be true, but I still love them. Especially ones like this one, that come on the scene are so amazing that I'm left thinking ooh that society is so creepy and yet I'm absolutely enthralled and intrigued with what might happen next. 

In Summary: AN AMAZING BOOK! One, that I definitely recommend. I can't wait for the sequel.

Warnings/Side-notes: Overall this novel is very clean, there are some minor sexual references. There is no sex in this novel, but it is vaguely mentioned. Minor violence--people are tasered. 

The Wrap-up: Basically, I love love loved this novel. One of the best one I've read in awhile. I absolutely adored this tale. The cover looked creepy yet appealing and that right there describes the book perfectly. 

Love,

Danica Page 


4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one too. Can't wait to see what she writes next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly how I feel! She is such a good writer!

      Delete
  2. The cover really puts me off this book so I really wasn't interested but you loved it so I might have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Call me creepy, but I actually liked the cover. I know, strange.

      It's not as creepy as the cover makes it out to be, but it is still fairly creepy.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)