Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Book Review: The Academie by Susanne Dunlap



The Academie 
by Susanne Dunlap
Young Adult Historical Fiction
Received for Review from publisher via netgalley
Release Date: February 28, 2012
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.58
Pages: 368

Before I get into my review, here's the summary from Goodreads:

Eliza Monroe-daughter of the future president of the United States-is devastated when her mother decides to send her to boarding school outside of Paris. But the young American teen is quickly reconciled to the idea when-ooh, la-la!-she discovers who her fellow pupils will be: Hortense de Beauharnais, daughter of Josephine Bonaparte; and Caroline Bonaparte, youngest sister of the famous French general. It doesn't take long for Eliza to figure out that the two French girls are mortal enemies-and that she's about to get caught in the middle of their schemes.



Loosely drawn from history, Eliza Monroe's imagined coming of age provides a scintillating glimpse into the lives, loves, and hopes of three young women during one of the most volatile periods in French history.



My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off, I'd like to thank the publisher and netgalley for allowing me to review this novel. 

Secondly, I've only read one other novel by this author and I loved it. This is an author that I definitely recommend to fans of historical fiction. She blends just the right amount of fiction and historical accuracy to create a very compelling read.

Going into this novel, I wondered if this would live up to my expectations or if I would end up being disappointed. This novel definitely surpassed my expectations and reminded me of why I love this author so much. She has a way with words that leaves you completely entranced by the story. 


My favorite aspect of a Dunlap novel is the characters and their distinct voices. I always feel so connected with the characters and emotionally attached. I cheer for their triumphs, smile when they are happy, and feel tearful when they run into heartbreak.


Dunlap is an incredible writer whom I am quickly coming to love. Her writing is fresh, compelling, and always sincere.


I loved the character Eliza. Her naivete was always amusing. And yet, her desire to help other people was something that I admired.


This novel touched upon issues of race, wealth and class distinctions, and government. And yet it was presented in a neat package that is entertaining and both thought-provoking. Any book that can do that is one I love. I can say with absolutely certainly this won't be the last novel I read by Dunlap.

In Summary: A very imaginative blend of history and fiction into a novel that I absolutely adored and recommend to all fans of historical young adult fiction.

Warnings/Side-notes: Nothing comes to mind. 

The Wrap-Up: A novel that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. I'm definitely excited to read more from this author. In fact, this is a novel that I would even reread and consider purchasing. 

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: A Texan's Honor by Shelley Gray 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)