Saturday, April 28, 2012

Book Review: The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman


The Book of Blood and Shadow
by Robin Wasserman
Received for Review from publisher via Netgalley
Release Date: April 10,2012 
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.92
Pages: 448 

Before I get into my review, here's the summary that's available on Goodreads:


It was like a nightmare, but there was no waking up. When the night began, Nora had two best friends and an embarrassingly storybook one true love. When it ended, she had nothing but blood on her hands and an echoing scream that stopped only when the tranquilizers pierced her veins and left her in the merciful dark. 

But the next morning, it was all still true: Chris was dead. His girlfriend Adriane, Nora’s best friend, was catatonic. And Max, Nora’s sweet, smart, soft-spoken Prince Charming, was gone. He was also—according to the police, according to her parents, according to everyone—a murderer. 

Desperate to prove his innocence, Nora follows the trail of blood, no matter where it leads. It ultimately brings her to the ancient streets of Prague, where she is drawn into a dark web of secret societies and shadowy conspirators, all driven by a mad desire to possess something that might not even exist. For buried in a centuries-old manuscript is the secret to ultimate knowledge and communion with the divine; it is said that he who controls the Lumen Dei controls the world. Unbeknownst to her, Nora now holds the crucial key to unlocking its secrets. Her night of blood is just one piece in a puzzle that spans continents and centuries. Solving it may be the only way she can save her own life.

My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off, I'd like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for giving me the e-galley to review in exchange for my honest opinion.


I had heard a lot of really good things about this book and so I was really excited to read this one. However besides knowing that people seemed to love it,  I went in not really knowing all too much about this novel.


Although I might not have enjoyed this novel quite as much as other people I know, I will say that I really enjoyed this novel and am glad I read it. Robin's writing was incredible and she created a story that drew me in from the very beginning. Fans of suspense will love this novel. 


I found the premise of this novel very original and very intriguing and I will give it points for that. I also loved the character Eli, which is weird since I don't think you were supposed to. I also never like Max and I think you were supposed to...so I must conclude I'm just weird.


Anyway, I loved how Robin created her characters. They were all three dimensional and I loved reading about them. However, despite how well-written this book was, there was something missing to really make this one stand out to me. If you want to read an enjoyable book in one sitting, I wouldn't recommend this one. This one requires more of an investment, but one I think is worth it. In short, if you see this at the library, check this out you won't regret it. 

In Summary: An enjoyable novel, but one that I didn't absolutely love. Well-written, but it lacked something to make this really stand out. 

The Wrap-up: I enjoyed this novel and enjoyed Robin's writing style. I will definitely look into other books by this author. I didn't love this one, but it was enjoyable and I'm glad I read it. 

Love,

Danica Page



1 comment:

  1. Great review! I really can't wait to read this one, it sounds like my kind of read. Thank you for sharing! :)

    regards,
    grace (Help Me Sleep Better)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (325) books (309) Book Review (288) asked to review (184) blogging (135) review (119) meme (113) series (112) writing (98) young adult (98) romance (92) realistic (87) contemporary (83) netgalley (77) fiction (76) blog tour (69) adult (57) arc (51) christian (50) reading addiction blog tours (40) Waiting on Wednesday (38) characters (38) my favorites (38) new adult (36) 2012 (35) 2013 (35) writing process (35) Teaser Tuesday (29) Top Ten Tuesday (28) IMM (27) WWW Wednesdays (25) guest post (25) historical fiction (23) fantasy (22) suspense (22) The Chosen One (21) paranormal (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) debut novel 2012 (15) NWOC (14) giveaway (14) writing advice (14) excerpt (13) mystery (13) Black Rose (12) author spotlight (11) chick-lit (11) debut (11) dystopia (11) editing (11) promo (11) sophomore novel (11) 2014 (10) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) standalone novel (9) covers (8) sci-fi (8) short story (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) retelling (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) lists (4) nonfiction (4) novella (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) 2015 (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) amish (3) blog hop (3) debut novel 2011 (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) sports (3) top 10 (3) 3 stars (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Q and A (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) awards (2) college (2) contes (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) abuse (1) action (1) analysis (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) classic literature (1) country challenge (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) inspirational (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) partners in crime blog tour (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) trailers (1)