Thursday, April 26, 2012

Book Review: Fated by Alyson Noel


Fated
(The Soul Seekers, #1)
by Alyson Noel
Received for Review from publisher
Young Adult Paranormal Romance
Release Date: May 22, 2012
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.02 
Pages: 306

Before I get into my review, here's the summary available on Goodreads:

Lately strange things have been happening to Daire Santos. Animals follow her, crows mock her, and glowing people appear out of nowhere. Worried that Daire is having a nervous breakdown, her mother packs her off to stay in the dusty plains of Enchantment, New Mexico with a grandmother she’s never met. 

There she crosses paths with Dace, a gorgeous guy with unearthly blue eyes who she’s encountered before...but only in her dreams. And she’ll get to know her grandmother—a woman who recognizes Daire’s bizarre episodes for what they are. A call to her true destiny as a Soul Seeker, one who can navigate between the worlds of the living and the dead. Her grandmother immediately begins teaching her to harness her powers—but it’s an art that must be mastered quickly. Because Dace’s brother is an evil shape-shifter who’s out to steal her powers. Now Daire must embrace her fate as a Soul Seeker and find out if Dace is one guy she’s meant to be with...or if he’s allied with the enemy she’s destined to destroy.


My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I received this completely out of the blue from St. Martin's Griffin and would like to thank them for sending me this copy to review.

I have only read Evermore by Alyson Noel and so I didn't really know what to expect going into this novel. The premise sounded intriguing and so I decided to dive in. 

It took me a good thirty pages before this novel started to really catch my attention. The first half of the book didn't necessarily pull me in, but the second half was very good and made up for the so-so beginning.  

As for the characters, Daire was a conflicting character in the sense that I could not decide if I liked her or not. She didn't like what was happening and she let that be known. However, I feel like Daire grew a lot in this novel and I ended up liking her in the end. I absolutely loved the characters Palomna and Chay. They were easily my two favorite characters in the entire novel. They were extremely sweet and genuine people.

The plot was interesting and I'm curious to see how Noel expands this in her second book Echo. The romance wasn't the main focus of the book which I also liked. It focused more on Daire's journey to accept who she is and her destiny. Dace wasn't overly developed in this novel; however, I have a feeling like that might change in the second one. I'm interested in learning more about him. 

In Summary: An intriguing Young Adult paranormal novel that has caught my attention. I will definitely be checking out the sequel and am curious to see how Noel expands upon this idea. Recommended to fans of paranormal romance. 

The Wrap-up: I've heard mixed things about Noel's writing, but I enjoyed this novel. It was entertaining and one that caught my attention. It wasn't an incredible read, but it was enjoyable. 

Love,

Danica Page

Up Next: Darkroom by Joshua Graham


3 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of paranormal romance, but I would like to finally read something by Noel and I might start with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed this one more than Evermore, but other than that I don't have much background with Noel's writing. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. This sounds amazing!! I think I will really enjoy this one. Thanks for sharing your review.

    New Follower :)

    Chelsey@Charming Chelsey's

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)