Friday, April 6, 2012

Book Review: The Fine Art of Truth or Dare by Melissa Jensen


The Fine Art of Truth or Dare
by Melissa Jensen
Alyssa Hoffmaster lend this to me
Release Date:
Average Goodreads Rating:
Pages:

Before I get into my review, here's the summary from Goodreads (which I feel doesn't do this novel justice).

Ella is nearly invisible at the Willing School, and that's just fine by her. Still, it's hard being a nobody and having a crush on the biggest somebody in the school: Alex Bainbridge. Especially when he is her French tutor, and lessons have started becoming, well, certainly more interesting than French ever has been before.

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off, I'd like to thank Alyssa Hoffmaster for letting me borrow this book. Alyssa blogs at The Book Blog Experience and is amazing.

Now for my review: Okay, honestly, just look at the cover. I love art and so when I saw the cover I was totally in love with this book and had to read it. If you looked at my post about Nike of Samothrace you would know I'm obsessed with art. Love the cover. But my review is about the book not the cover. :)

The book had its weird elements and that might be enough to turn some people off. Ella, the main character, has imaginary conversations with a dead artist. However, as weird as that sounds, it didn't really creep me out as much as I thought it would. Probably, because the book was just too cute for me to really dwell on that. Plus, it's about art. (P.S. If my review of this novel and my blog post on art hasn't convinced you why that statement matters, I don't know what will.)

I loved the characters in this novel. And while I wasn't overly fond of Alex for a lot of the book, he even had his moments that made me like him. 

Basically, this book was a really cute book that had me laughing out loud.  Jensen's writing style was downright hilarious. Honestly, it has been a long time since I've read a book this funny. This was Melissa's sophomore novel and it was definitely a cute read.

This book wasn't spectacular or overly amazing, but it was cute and funny. Overall, I really enjoyed reading it.

If you're looking for a lighter read (or just love art), I recommend this book to you. 

In Summary: A very cute, funny, and enjoyable chick-lit book that I enjoyed but didn't absolutely love. I'm glad I read it though.

Warnings/Side-notes: There is a gay character in this novel. However, he is not the protagonist and it doesn't go into too much detail. I think I'm sensitive to this subject and this novel didn't faze me. But I'm leaving it up to your interpretation. This novel used some minor swear words and there were some sexual references. But I can't think of one part of this book that offended me. 

The Wrap-up: Really enjoyable book. Honestly, it surpassed my expectations. After reading the first thirty pages, I didn't think I would like it. However, after that I really started enjoying the book. 

Love,

Danica Page

8 comments:

  1. Great review, I'll have to look into this one. I like a cute funny read :)
    -Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book cover for this book is really cute! I'm not sure if I'll read it, but I'm glad that you enjoyed it, and thanks for the review!

    Happy Easter!

    Alexandra~

    PS: Sorry I've been MIA. I've been working hard on my next project! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Happy Easter to you too. Good luck with your current project!

      Delete
  3. Hi Danica! I found your super nice blog thanks to Book Blog and now I'm a follower :-) I would be happy if you found time to have a look at mine and join me, too. http://alicepluswonderland.blogspot.it/

    Thank you!

    All best! Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, thanks. I'm glad you liked my blog and that you think it is cute. I followed your blog too.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)