Monday, April 23, 2012

Book Review: Obsession by Debra Webb


Obsession
(Book, #1)
by Debra Webb
Received for Review via World Literary Cafe
Adult Romantic Thriller/Suspense
Release Date:
Average Goodreads Rating:
e-book

There isn't a summary available on Goodreads so I went to Barnes and Noble and found this summary:

Special Agent Jess Harris has spent more than a decade studying the many faces of evil. But in her determination to stop a heinous serial killer, she messed up, broke the rules, and it cost her everything. Now her career is in need of resuscitation and her love life is dead and buried. Jess jumps at the chance to escape her current reality and to advise on a case that has Birmingham, Alabama’s top cops stumped. The trouble is, the case forces Jess to confront all the reasons she put her hometown and her first love, Police Chief Dan Burnett, in her rearview mirror all those years ago.

Dan Burnett will do anything to find the four young women who have gone missing before it’s too late to save them—even if it means asking for help from the woman who has spent a decade avoiding him. Until recently he kept up with Jess’s career at Quantico. She’s the best at what she does and he needs her to help him solve this case. And just maybe, in the process, they can break down that brick wall she has built between them. Maybe they can even be more than friends again.

When a fifth girl goes missing without a break in the case, Jess questions her skill as a profiler and an investigator. Then the unthinkable happens. A startling personal message reveals that the crazed serial killer whose case she blew has followed her to Birmingham, adding a chilling twist to an already desperate situation, and time is swiftly running out. 


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I'm so glad that World Literary Cafe is allowing me to review books for them.

I went into this book with absolutely no expectations. I honestly didn't know what to think. I just saw that this was romantic suspense/thriller and I was hooked. I was worried that this novel would be slightly questionable...and it was. But I still really liked it. Once again, I'll reiterate that this is a novel for mature readers.

I loved Debra and Dan and the chemistry between them. This book was definitely an electric read. I couldn't set it down. I was anxiously reading this one and read it in one sitting. I just couldn't do anything else until I had finished it. 

The writing was really good and I found myself sucked into the story from the very beginning. Granted, I'm a succor for this genre, but this novel was great. I can definitely say that I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel. I won't get to reading it fast enough. 

In Summary: An electric read that had me hooked from the very beginning, but definitely one for mature readers. Personally, I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel.

Warnings/Side-notes: This book is definitely for mature readers. There are some instances of strong language (f word) and multiple sexual references. The book isn't erotic by any means and isn't overly graphic, but is definitely more graphic than a young adult novel. Proceed with caution. 

The Wrap-up: I really liked this one. I'm definitely intrigued by Debra's writing style and her stories. Something tells me I'm going to cave and buy the sequel soon. Definitely recommended to fans of romantic suspense and ones who don't mind slightly questionable books. 

Love,

Danica Page

1 comment:

  1. Ooo, this sounds like something just up my alley. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)