Sunday, April 29, 2012

Book Review: Reckless Heart by Amy Clipston


Reckless Heart
by Amy Clipston
Received for Review via publisher
Young Adult Amish Christian fiction
Release Date: April 17, 2012
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.00
Pages: 224

Before I get into my review, here's the summary from Goodreads:

Slipping. Lydia Bontrager's youngest sister is frighteningly ill, and as a good Amish daughter, it falls to Lydia to care for her siblings and keep the household running, in addition to working as a teacher's assistant and helping part time at her grandmother's bakery. Succumbing to stress, Lydia gives in to one wild night and returns home drunk. The secret of that mistake leaves Lydia feeling even more restless and confused, especially when Joshua, the only boy she's ever loved, becomes increasingly distant. When a non-Amish boy moves in nearby, Lydia finds someone who understands her, but the community is convinced Lydia is becoming too reckless. With the pressures at home and her sister's worsening condition, a splintering relationship with Joshua, and her own growing questions over what is right, Lydia could lose everything that she's ever held close.

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars. 

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off, I'd like to thank Zondervan for giving me a copy of this to review in exchange for my honest review.


I went into this book with no expectations. I hadn't read anything else by Clipston and didn't really know what to expect. However, I quickly was entranced by this story. Lydia was a character that I both respected and admired. Her strength and commitment to do what was right was inspiring.


Another character that I loved was Tristan. Tristan was not Amish, but was Christian. He was just a genuinely nice guy (one that I wouldn't mind meeting). I really enjoyed learning about him in this novel.


In addition to the characters, Clipston also weaved issues of faith into her novel in a way that never seemed overbearing or forced. She created a plot that touched my heart and left me reflecting on my own life. 


This novel was both poignantly moving and entertaining. It's been awhile since I've read an Amish fiction book that I enjoyed as much as this one. Clipston is definitely an author that I will be keeping tabs on. She has an ability to create a story that is compelling. I know that I will definitely want to read the companion series.

In Summary: An enjoyable novel that I absolutely adored reading. Definitely recommend this to fans of Christian fiction of all ages. 

Warnings/Side-notes: This is an Amish fiction novel meaning that its clean. There was a few references to alcohol then.

The Wrap-up: I'm really glad I could read this one. It was an enjoyable read. Clipston is an incredible author who I will definitely read more from. Thanks Zondervan for this opportunity. 

Love,

Danica Page

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for your wonderful review! I'm so glad you liked my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. I'm glad you liked my review!

      Delete
  2. can not wait to read your new book. Beverly Bailey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one. Definitely recommended.

      Delete
  3. I've would just love to read your new book,but when your on a fix income it hard to buy thing like books,shoes,clother,etc but maybe it will be in the library some time in the near future,thank Amy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)