Sunday, April 15, 2012

Book Review: A Texan's Honor by Shelley Gray


A Texan's Honor
(Heart of a Hero, #2)
by Shelley Gray
Received for Review from publisher via netgalley
Adult Christian Fiction
Release Date: March 1, 2012
Average Goodreads Rating: 4
Pages: 320

Before I get into my review, here's the summary from Goodreads:

Texas, 1874. Years ago, Will McMillan had fought in the open, next to his Captain, Clayton Proffitt. Now he’s waging another war undercover, pretending to be a member of the notorious Walton Gang. But when a hostage situation goes awry and an innocent woman is in the middle of the fray, Will knows he must protect her no matter what happens. Even if his cover is blown. Even if they risk being killed by his gang or by the lawmen on their trail. Even if the woman he’s risking everything for will never love him back.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off I'd like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me review this novel. I absolutely adored reading this one. I hadn't read the first in this series, but I never felt lost.

The characters in this novel were amazing. I loved learning more about Will and Jamilyn. From the very beginning, I was drawn to their personalities and the way they handled the situation that life had thrown at them.

And then there was Scout. I absolutely loved reading about him. He is definitely a character that I loved hearing about and enjoyed seeing his progression.

I love historical fiction and I love adult christian romantic suspense--this novel combined those two elements. The book moved at a fast pace and I really enjoyed reading it.

Shelley Gray is definitely an author that I will be keeping tabs on. 

In Summary: A compelling fast-paced read with enough romance, suspense, and intrigue to keep me thoroughly entertained. A novel that was brilliantly written.

Warnings/Side-notes: Minor violence and minor sexual references. Very minor and nothing actually happened. Also a reference to abuse.

The Wrap-up: A very well-written novel that I definitely recommend. I'm excited to see what else Shelley Gray writes as well as to read the first one.

Love,

Danica Page

2 comments:

  1. Dear Danica,

    Thank you for reviewing A Texan's Honor. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the book! I can honestly say I was sad when I turned it into my editor, I loved writing the novel. : ) Like you, I enjoy reading and writing all kinds of books. Best of luck to you on your writing career-and love those pictures at the top of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly Gray, you are most welcome. I really did enjoy it. Thanks I'll take all the good wishes that I can and I'm glad you like my pictures at the top of my blog.

      I'll look forward to seeing what you write next.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (324) books (306) Book Review (285) asked to review (182) blogging (135) review (116) meme (113) series (111) writing (98) young adult (96) romance (90) realistic (84) contemporary (80) netgalley (77) fiction (75) blog tour (69) adult (57) arc (50) christian (50) reading addiction blog tours (40) Waiting on Wednesday (38) characters (38) my favorites (38) new adult (36) 2012 (35) 2013 (35) writing process (35) Teaser Tuesday (29) Top Ten Tuesday (28) IMM (27) WWW Wednesdays (25) guest post (25) historical fiction (23) fantasy (22) suspense (22) The Chosen One (21) paranormal (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) debut novel 2012 (15) NWOC (14) giveaway (14) writing advice (14) excerpt (13) mystery (13) Black Rose (12) author spotlight (11) chick-lit (11) debut (11) dystopia (11) editing (11) promo (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) 2014 (9) covers (8) sci-fi (8) short story (8) standalone novel (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) retelling (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) lists (4) nonfiction (4) novella (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) 2015 (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) amish (3) blog hop (3) debut novel 2011 (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) sports (3) top 10 (3) 3 stars (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Q and A (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) awards (2) college (2) contes (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) abuse (1) action (1) analysis (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) classic literature (1) country challenge (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) inspirational (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) partners in crime blog tour (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) trailers (1)