Sunday, April 22, 2012

Book Review: Unbreak My Heart by Melissa C. Walker


Unbreak My Heart
by Melissa C. Walker
Received for Review from publisher via Netgalley
Young Adult Realistic Contemporary
Release Date: May 24, 2012
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.96
Pages:240

Before I get into my review, here is the summary available on Goodreads:

Sophomore year broke Clementine Williams’ heart. She fell for her best friend’s boyfriend and long story short: he’s excused, but Clem is vilified and she heads into summer with zero social life. Enter her parents’ plan to spend the summer on their sailboat. Normally the idea of being stuck on a tiny boat with her parents and little sister would make Clem break out in hives, but floating away sounds pretty good right now. Then she meets James at one of their first stops along the river. He and his dad are sailing for the summer and he’s just the distraction Clem needs. Can he break down Clem’s walls and heal her broken heart? Told in alternating chapters that chronicle the year that broke Clem’s heart and the summer that healed it, Unbreak My Heart is a wonderful dual love story that fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Susane Colasanti will flock to.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I'm so glad that I received this book for review from the publisher via netgalley. Thanks!

And now for my review. I went into this novel with mixed emotions. I hated the idea that a friend fell for her best friend's boyfriend, but I love Sarah Dessen and Deb Caletti so I had to read it.

First off, I didn't hate Clem at all. She made a mistake. She fell for her best friend's guy, but honestly I could sympathize with her (read the book before you hate me for that comment). She tried so hard not to act on that feeling. 

I really liked the character Clem. Yes, she was depressed, but she had pluck too. She was a character that I really enjoyed getting to know. I also really loved reading about her family and especially loved her sister Olive.

And then there is James. I absolutely loved his character. And while some didn't like their relationship, did. I absolutely loved them together. Definitely one of my favorite crushes of the year.  

I loved the way the novel told the story of this summer and also incorporated flashbacks of what happened in the past. I really enjoyed Walker's writing style and the way she told this story. 

Although the premise was intriguing, I didn't have high expectations. Originally, I thought the comparison to Dessen and Caletti was something I'd end up chuckling to myself about. However, I was surprised by how much I actually loved this novel. I don't think it's a lofty comparison to compare this to Dessen or Caletti. 

I really enjoyed this novel. I can't pin why I liked this novel so much, I just did.

Walker is definitely an author I will be keeping tabs on. I can't wait to see what she writes next. 

In Summary: A contemporary realistic young adult novel that fans of Dessen will love. I know I did. It's very well-written and the premise for this novel is excellent.

Warning/Side-notes: One instance of stronger language and some minor swearing. But overall, this is a very clean novel. 

The Wrap-up: I really enjoyed reading this one. It definitely has a Dessen-esque feel, meaning that I loved it. This one exceeded my expectations and I'm so glad I decided to read it. Definitely recommended. 

Love,

Danica Page


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the review. I have this on my tbr.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)