Friday, April 20, 2012

Book Review/Blog Tour: Dissolve by Andrea Heltsley


Hello Readers,

I'm proud to be part of the Reading Addiction Blog Tours for Dissolve by Andrea Heltsley. I will be posting a review of this book. However, before I get into my review, here is some information about the author. 

Andrea is a biology nerd who loves reading just about anything paranormal and some chick lit. She enjoy sunshine and her two Italian greyhounds with her husband. She always writes to music and finds it helps the creative process.  Dissolve is her first novel. She have been writing ever since she was in grade school and has finally decided to make a career out of it. More books to come summer 2012 and 2013. You can reach Andrea at her blog, her email andreaheltsleybooks@hotmail.com, or at her Facebook page


And now for my review:


Dissolve
by Andrea Heltsley
Received for Review as part of the Reading Addiction Blog Tours*
(see disclosure statement at bottom of post)
Young Adult/Adult Paranormal
Release Date: April 10,2012
e-book 422 pages

Before I get into my review, here is the summary available on Goodreads:

Everything seemed to be going right for Cora. She had a wonderful fiance, a great best friend and a fulfilling life. One day, a tragic event causes that life to crumble around her. She turns to her best friend in her time of need. They embark on a search for answers, delving deeper into a web of magic and destruction. The closer they get to the truth, the more questions they have. To Cora, magic was the stuff of fairy tales. Immersed into a very different kind of world, the real storm was just beginning to take hold.


“It felt like I was nowhere yet everywhere all at once. I was invisible and completely panicked. The millions of pieces I had dissolved to drift on the breeze and away from my nightmares. It was kind of like floating weightless in a pool, perfectly relaxing. The warm breeze from the window embraced and soothed me. I let the air current carry me as far as it could through the summer city.”

“Defeated, I closed my eyes and took a few calming breaths trying to relax myself. I pictured the dandelion in the park today and took a deep breath as to blow the fluffy seeds in all directions. I pretended I was light and fluffy and started to feel a tingling in my body. I began to feel as light as the dandelion seeds and soon I felt like mist floating. This time, I tried to keep myself in the room, swirling in a humid block.”


My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. 

My overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off I'd like to thank Cami Hensley from Reading Addiction Blog Tours for inviting me to be part of this tour. See disclosure at end of this blog post for more information on how this tour was set up.

Now for my review. I thought that Andrea Heltsley's idea was very original, engaging, and intriguing. I found myself getting sucked into the tale and found myself wondering what was going to happen next and curious to see how the characters developed.

I thought the plot was excellent and I enjoyed reading about Cora and her friends' adventures. Cora was a character who really grew on me as the story progressed and I enjoyed getting inside her head.

I really enjoyed this novel; however, it lacked that something to make this a 4 star review. There were parts where I thought that the writing was rushed and not thoroughly developed.

However, having said that, let me repeat that I really enjoyed this book. I feel like the plot was great and that left me thoroughly intrigued with the tale. While this is a young adult novel, I feel like this novel would also appeal to adults.

In Summary: A novel that I enjoyed reading, but one that I wished had been more developed. I especially liked the plot and the characters and was intrigued. 

Warnings/Side-notes: There are multiple references to drugs and alcohol along with some promiscuity. The novel was fairly clean but there was definitely a lot going on underneath the surface. 

The Wrap-up: You can buy this book by clicking on this link

Love, 

Danica Page


*Disclosure of Material Connection: I am a member of Reading Addiction Blog Tours and a copy of this book was provided to me by the author. Although payment may have been received by Reading Addiction Blog Tours, no payment was received by me in exchange for this review. There was no obligation to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, publisher, publicist, or readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision’s 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning Use of Endorcements and Testimonials in Advertising

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Book Review (373) books (366) reading (366) asked to review (298) series (207) romance (188) realistic (161) contemporary (160) young adult (154) netgalley (153) review (150) blogging (144) meme (138) 2015 (115) writing (103) arc (100) new adult (94) fiction (83) adult (81) blog tour (77) christian (76) 3 stars (53) Waiting on Wednesday (50) 2013 (46) my favorites (44) Top Ten Tuesday (41) reading addiction blog tours (41) historical fiction (40) characters (38) writing process (36) 2012 (35) suspense (32) fantasy (31) guest post (31) paranormal (31) Teaser Tuesday (29) standalone novel (28) 2014 (27) IMM (27) 4 stars (25) WWW Wednesdays (25) The Chosen One (21) new adult challenge 2013 (20) giveaways (19) letters (18) promo (17) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) debut novel 2012 (15) writing advice (15) NWOC (14) chick-lit (14) debut (13) edelweiss (13) excerpt (13) sci-fi (13) Black Rose (12) dystopia (12) 3.5 stars (11) author spotlight (11) editing (11) sophomore novel (11) Musing Mondays (10) authors (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) covers (8) short story (8) 2011 (7) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) Thursday Tutorials (6) dac (6) in my opinion (6) novella (6) sports (6) winners (6) Publication (5) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) Whimsical Wednesdays (4) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) journalism (4) list (4) mini review (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Three Shards of Glass (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) Monday Manifestos (2) NaNoWriMo (2) Saturday Sabbaticals (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) college (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) writing is everywhere (2) 2 (1) 2.5 stars (1) 2010 (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Filling up the Pages (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Poetry Circle (1) Robert Frost (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amanda black (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) book trade (1) classic literature (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) lds (1) literary agents (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) plays (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) realist (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) songs (1) the single game (1) trailers (1)