Monday, May 28, 2012

Blog Tour/ Book Review: Talented By Sophie Davis

Hello Readers,

Today I'm pleased to be part of the Sophie Davis Talented blog tour set up by Reading Addiction Blog Tours. 

I am going to be reviewing her novel, offering a copy of this book, and hosting a guest post from Sophie Davis. Check out this link to win a copy of the book and this link to read Sophie's guest post. 

Before we get into my review, here's a little more about the author the author:


Sophie moved to Washington, D.C. after graduating from Penn State University to pursue a career in the Sciences.  After deciding to actually write down one of the stories she makes up in her head, Sophie began the long journey towards her first full-length novel, Talented.  Caged is her second novel, and the second in the Talented Saga.  When Sophie isn't hunched over her computer, she can be found shopping in Georgetown, running in Rock Creek Park, or at the local dive bars in her Columbia Heights Neighborhood. Sophie can be reached at her website or her twitter account. You can buy her book at Barnes and Noble, through Amazon, through Sony, and Smashwords




And now for my review:

Talented
(Talented Saga, #1)
by Sophie Davis
Release Date: January 11, 2012
Received for Review
(see disclaimer below)
Young Adult Dystopian
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.90
e-book

Before we get into my review, here's the summary:


Talia Lyons is Talented.  Born after a nuclear spill, she is part of a new generation possessing special abilities; Talia can read the minds of others and manipulate their thoughts.  Whether Morphers, Light Manipulators or Telekinetics, the Talented are taught to control their abilities under the protective eye of the government- to use their Talents for good. But all Talia wants is revenge.

Talia joins the Hunters, an elite group of government operatives, hoping to one day kill Ian Crane - the man who ordered the execution of her parents.
 Ever since she witnessed their brutal deaths, Talia has spent her life honing her abilities, determined to settle the score.  But she still has a lot to learn before she can ease the pain inside. Talia turns to a boy who can mimic her Talents, a boy who truly understands her inner turmoil.  But even he can’t help Talia, when she’s forced to choose between saving herself and avenging the lives of her parents.

Talented is an action-packed adventure, about a group of teenagers who aren't afraid to embrace their fears and fight for what they believe in.



My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. 

Disclaimers: I received this book as part of the Reading Addiction blog tours and a copy of this book was provided for me by the author in exchange for my honest opinion. For more information, see disclosure at bottom of this post.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I decided to read this book and participate in this tour because the synopsis looked intriguing. I'm glad I did decide to read this novel.

While this book did have some small errors, I liked the story so much that is almost didn't bother me. I really loved the characters and Sophie's writing style. She wrote in a way that intrigued me and left me wanting more.

The market is flooded with dystopian novels, but there is a reason why. They are so compelling and interesting. I love reading dystopian novels. I somehow didn't connect that this was a dystopian novel or else I would have been much more excited to read this one.

Back to the characters, I really liked Talia. At times, I wanted to hit her over the head, but I feel this way about several of my favorite characters. And then there was Eric, I liked him from the very beginning. Too bad Talia already has a boyfriend and Eric is a womanizer. Still, I really liked him.

This was Sophie's debut novel and an intriguing start to a new series that I will definitely be keeping tabs on. The second one in the series, Caged, is already out and I'm severely tempted to buy it because I want to read it. 

If you like dystopian novels, then I definitely recommend reading this one. It's definitely worth it. 

In Summary: A well-written dystopian novel that is an intriguing start to a series that I will definitely be keeping tabs on. 

Warnings/Side-notes: A few instances of strong language (f word) and sexual undertones/references throughout the novel. There is a homosexual character as well. However, this novel was one that I enjoyed and didn't feel uncomfortable while reading it. 

The Wrap-up: Like I mentioned earlier, Sophie Davis' first novel did have a few errors in it; however, I still really enjoyed reading it. This is a series that I'll be keeping a close watch on. It has definitely caught my attention and left me wanting more.

Be sure to check out the giveaway and guest post.

~Love,

Danica Page


*Disclosure of Material Connection: I am a member of Reading Addiction Blog Tours and a copy of this book was provided to me by the author. Although payment may have been received by Reading Addiction Blog Tours, no payment was received by me in exchange for this review. There was no obligation to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, publisher, publicist, or readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision’s 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning Use of Endorcements and Testimonials in Advertising*





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
reading (341) Book Review (338) books (338) asked to review (260) series (165) romance (146) blogging (142) young adult (142) meme (138) review (131) netgalley (126) realistic (122) contemporary (121) 2015 (85) arc (83) blog tour (76) adult (74) christian (74) fiction (72) new adult (52) Waiting on Wednesday (50) my favorites (42) Top Ten Tuesday (41) historical fiction (40) reading addiction blog tours (39) 2013 (38) 2012 (35) writing (34) 3 stars (33) suspense (31) guest post (30) Teaser Tuesday (28) fantasy (28) paranormal (28) IMM (26) WWW Wednesdays (25) standalone novel (24) 2014 (23) 4 stars (21) giveaways (19) Author Interview (16) blogger in the spotlight (16) contests (16) giveaway (16) mystery (16) promo (16) debut novel 2012 (15) letters (15) chick-lit (14) debut (13) new adult challenge 2013 (13) dystopia (12) sci-fi (12) author spotlight (11) sophomore novel (11) writing advice (11) writing process (11) authors (10) excerpt (10) lists (10) tbr pile challenge 2013 (10) inspirational (9) retelling (9) top 10 (9) 3.5 stars (8) Musing Mondays (8) Stacking the Shelves (7) debut novel 2013 (7) edelweiss (7) 2011 (6) covers (6) dac (6) winners (6) Xpresso Book Tours (5) nonfiction (5) novella (5) sports (5) amish (4) blog hop (4) challenges (4) characters (4) in my opinion (4) list (4) 2013 sophomore challenge (3) Q and A (3) Thursday Tutorials (3) debut novel 2011 (3) discussion (3) editing (3) male pov (3) middle grade (3) partners in crime blog tour (3) 2 stars (2) 2016 (2) 4.5 stars (2) 5 stars (2) Amazon steals (2) NaNoWriMo (2) The Chosen One (2) To-Read Tuesday (2) action (2) awards (2) book deals (2) book reviews (2) contes (2) country challenge (2) debut 2015 (2) howard books (2) rant (2) short story (2) video (2) women's fiction (2) 2 (1) 2010 (1) Black Rose (1) BookLook bloggers (1) Danica's Writing Corner (1) Marissa Meyer (1) Saturday Sabbaticals (1) Whimsical Wednesdays (1) Winter (1) abuse (1) amazon steals (1) analysis (1) august (1) blogoversary (1) book depository (1) book tour (1) classic literature (1) college (1) debut novel 2014 (1) deseret news review (1) design (1) ebooks (1) endings (1) freebie (1) irene hannon (1) january (1) journalism (1) lds (1) month overview (1) more than fashion (1) new releases (1) polls (1) ratedreads (1) read (1) readin (1) seasonal (1) serial novel (1) trailers (1) writing is everywhere (1)